Windows 10 UNIVERSAL

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Exophase
Re: Windows 10 UNIVERSAL

Post by Exophase » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:40 pm

If you copy someone's forum post you should include a link to the original. That would be here: http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55275-Th ... post454316

I've seen this post before and I never got around to replying to it, but simply put I think it makes some questionable claims. Most traditional interpreters that are at all efficient have a single switch dispatch and therefore it amounts to the same single indirect branch per instruction that this scheme would be. Just instead of computing that function pointer from instruction bits and a fixed table you'd be loading it from a dynamic array. It saves on work decoding at the expense of doubling the memory footprint for instructions. In theory the real wins in threaded interpreters come from doing optimizations on the code to remove redundant computations and combine operations into super-operations. This might work well on Forth interpreters but for ARM it'd be a different story.

So I'm skeptical that the performance would end up good enough but I'm not going to be trying it either way.

It's moot anyway if it's not needed on Windows 10 Mobile/Universal/whatever.

Ezequiel Gomes

Post by Ezequiel Gomes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Chances are infimas even with this method then?

And I'm sorry for breaking the rule

Ezequiel Gomes

Post by Ezequiel Gomes » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:55 pm

The JiT is come Back to Windows 10 Mobile

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/C9-04

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Ezequiel Gomes wrote:The JiT is come Back to Windows 10 Mobile

Yeah, we talked about this earlier. This shouldn't be a problem for Windows 10 Mobile.

Ezequiel Gomes

Post by Ezequiel Gomes » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Man, Windows Mobile OS 10 has 33% of Windows Phone due to non-official launch, the number had increased, in addition to the Releases of other smartphones (like Jade Cousin), W10 is very promising for developing

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Ezequiel Gomes wrote:The JiT is come Back to Windows 10 Mobile

Last edited by ericbazinga on Sun May 29, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Ezequiel Gomes

Post by Ezequiel Gomes » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:59 pm

I don't want to be arrogant or rude, but the question was direct to the Devs, if you others are annoyed I beg you to leave since it became long

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Ezequiel Gomes wrote:I don't want to be arrogant or rude, but the question was direct to the Devs, if you others are annoyed I beg you to leave since it became long
Considering that you are basically begging Exo to make a Windows port when he's flat-out said no multiple times, the meme was well-deserved. (Also, I just couldn't resist posting the photo. Sorry.)
JIT or not, you still have to consider the hardware you're developing for when making a piece of software, and I doubt Windows phones were designed with gaming in mind.
As for leaving this thread, I will. I will admit I used to have these crazy ideas like yours, but it doesn't help when you're basically trying to get someone to do all the work for you.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:50 am

Where was there a question...?

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:56 am

Exophase wrote:Where was there a question...?
its the one he keeps on asking you.

basically its "I represent a tiny nation called MS mobile and I demand indirectly by asking nicely for the devs to not say no to my demands by bombarding them with what they already know and annoying them until they get tired an relent."

I kept my distance due to some 'forumers' thinking I am the reincarnation of Stalin but man this guy is persistent and annoying (not to mention acting like a **** to a senior member).

to Gomez, if the devs think its viable they will not need anyone to tell them. they appreciate suggestions as drastic improved due to customer involvement (I personally witnessed some good suggestions added to the app) but basically bugging them does not help your case.

Maybe someday they might consider what you are saying but right now, just take a break and have a kitkat.
Behold my mighty