My Ideas About Multiplayer

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
ericbazinga
Re: Multiplayer Breakthrough!

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 am

TkSilver wrote:
ericbazinga wrote: Well that sucks, because both of Exo's options would make the emulator super slow and therefore unplayable. But you're actually onto something with that WiFi driver idea. Different phones may have different hardware, but they all run Android, and users of DraStic would have to have good phones in order to run it anyway, so it wouldn't matter.
Ok lets make this a little simpler. If Drastic worked on only lets say the oneplus 1and people did not care about using the wifi radio for anything other then Drastic then maybe you could adjust the driver to work as a low latency connection. Assuming that the oneplus 1 or whatever phone/tablet you chose was capable of low latency communication in the first place.

The reason the DS has a low latency local area connection is simple. The wifi radio's are designed both software and hardware to do it. For the most part there are only 2 different wifi chips at work the Nintendo DS one (DS and DS light) amd the DSi one that has a legacy mode to allow it to work with the original DS. Even if you get the software (drivers) to work if you do not have compatabile hardware it won't matter.

If you want a different idea that would be possible on mobile devices (maybe) them the best chance you have is figuring out how to hook up 2 devices with a USB cable and figure out a way to make a fake wifi hardware signal like you would if you ran 2 seprate instances on one device. Of any connection that a mobile phone has the speed of a direct connection like usb would be the lowest latency. I am not advocating this approach nor do I know if you can connect one android device to another through usb-otg bit that seems to be one of the only ways I could see outside of what exo said and even then you would probably have to sync the 2 devices.

Btw playing mario kart against others and some types of trading pokemon is infrastructure (online) play. That would involve the other issues thst exo put in the orriginal post you quoted. It is also the one that would be most likely to ever happen.
First, the idea of using a USB cable for mutiplayer, although it might work, is ridiculous and absurd, because then I might as well be using a Game Boy or something.

Second, device compatibility IS an issue. You're saying you'd probably need a special chip or something in order to use it, and there's not really much we can do if that's not there. I was thinking a compatibility checker would be ideal for making sure you do have that chip.

Third, yeah WiFi would be the more useful (especially since none of my friends have DraStic), but would most likely require a DraStic-only custom server due to the signals being different than that of an actual DS. But I think we should start with local multiplayer in a short-range area, and work our way up fro there.

But at this point I want to review what multiplayer would be like: Two users would play with/against each other over a local WiFi network. Perhaps with some experimentation, we could get this to work over 3G/4G (probably requiring another server), which might lag a bit but would throw the WiFi thing out the window. (At this point, I was going to add more, but I ran out of ideas.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

ericbazinga

Re: My Ideas About Multiplayer

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:26 am

Hey who renamed the thread?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:59 pm

ericbazinga wrote:Hey who renamed the thread?
I did. I didn't want people to think that was about progress made in the emulator's development.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Exophase wrote:
I did. I didn't want people to think that was about progress made in the emulator's development.
BTW, any progress on Multiplayer/WiFi?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:12 pm

ericbazinga wrote:BTW, any progress on Multiplayer/WiFi?
No :P

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:36 am

ericbazinga wrote:
Exophase wrote:
BTW, any progress on Multiplayer/WiFi?
you might as well count the stars on a night without any light on a new moon.
While its great that you give input, sometimes,you have to have a bit of experience or knowledge on the subject matter to at least be credible.
Behold my mighty

Xbox4201954

Post by Xbox4201954 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:01 pm

I may not know theses things and my idea might not be a great one, but what if we had the emulator so it used the wifi of the device we are using and use multiplayer like mcpe has that you must be connected to the same wifi? Creating custom DraStic servers for multiplayer would be hard because many games utilize wifi. I also think that doing something like how the 3ds uses wifi we could do that to implement download play. Please excuse my idea, if in fact it is stupid.

whgang99

Post by whgang99 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:27 am

Sorry to bump into a post in more than two weeks, but I've got a question. MyBoy is an emulator that supports multiplayer between two devices; how does THAT work? Is it by running both games on the server device?
Devices
- LG Q8: Qualcomm Snapdragon 820
- GPD XD Plus: MediaTek MT8176
- Laptop w/ Bluestack: i5-7300HQ

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:26 pm

whgang99 wrote:Sorry to bump into a post in more than two weeks, but I've got a question. MyBoy is an emulator that supports multiplayer between two devices; how does THAT work? Is it by running both games on the server device?
Why didn't I think of that? (I have that emulator on my phone...)
Maybe we could reverse-engineer how MyBoy's multiplayer works, and then try using that for DraStic.

reeve

Post by reeve » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Exophase wrote:What I think is the best potential path for NiFi emulation is the same that I think is the best method for Gameboy and GBA link emulation: emulate two instances of the DS on one machine and synchronize button presses across the network instead of the NiFi connection (with the NiFi connection emulated locally).
This is probably how MyBoy emulates multiplayer. Nintendo DS emulation is much more demanding than GBA emulation, that's the problem.