Lag on First Person Shooters

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
TkSilver
Re: Lag on First Person Shooters

Post by TkSilver » Mon May 11, 2015 5:02 am

inferno wrote:So how come one of the most heaviest nds games : Pokemon White 2 runs on my phone without any lag ( no frameskip ) ? There is something about these fps games I guess , I heard they lagged on the real nds too.
The issue is that goldeneye and I can only assume the other fps games are true 100% 3d graphics. Pokemon white/black/white 2/black 2 (all use the same engine) are semi 3d. 3d background art with mostly sprites for characters. There is also a mostly fixed point of view camera for the game that is also really different from the free look in goldeneye.

For a performance comparison:
My device: galaxy tab s 8.4 3GB Ram 1.9Ghz A-15 quadcore

Pokemon white: multi-threaded-off/hi rez-on/FS-0 --- 85-100% speed mostly 98-100% title screen being the biggest drop

Golden eye: multi-threaded-off/hi rez-on/FS-0 --- unplayable fps all over the place to get stable performance not only did I need to disable hi rez but also enable multi-threaded rendering to beable to play at 0 FS

This is what a late 2014 high end tablet could do with goldeneye you will probably need both multi threaded rendering and a decent amount of frameskip if you want to play those types of games on your device.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon May 11, 2015 11:16 pm

I think this is less of a matter of FPSes in general being demanding and more one of Activision FPSes specifically. And looks can be deceptive, where some visually complex games aren't really that demanding and some visually simplistic games are. For example, Alice in Wonderland is really demanding.

Goldeneye places a really high load on the DS CPUs, it looks like because of a complex idle loop that's not detected. It's sad that games were programmed like this since they wasted battery life on real DSes too, but that sort of thing is pretty inevitable.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:52 am

acid wrote:To be honest, your soc is very low end and will probably choke a bit on some games. Same thing happened to me with my mediatek mt6592 and dragon quest 4, and even that's a bit more advanced than the soc you have. Cortex a7 cores are not ideal for drastic . Now I've been playing smoothly on a snapdragon 800. The difference in performance is huge tbqh.
Snapdragon 400 Chipset is more than sufficient as well. Got no lag on any games here.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu May 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Goldeneye really is a fun test study for a really demanding game. It checks a lot of little boxes that add up to something very heavy for the emulator. Very heavy geometry load (nearly 40,000 commands a frame!) that relies on the geometry engine to do a lot of culling. Very heavy CPU load with weird idle loops. Lots of I/O access. 2D that uses a bunch of 8bpp layers with extended bitmaps, a rotating minimap, and windows so even its 2D load is higher than usual for a 3D game. There are perhaps dozens of little functions it exposes that are possibly worth optimizing.

I'm surprised to hear that a 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 can't handle it full speed without frameskip though. On my 1GHz Pandora the stuff minus 2D + 3D takes about 20ms, so would probably take under 10ms on this device, and the other part (20ms for 2D + 3D) should take far less than that when split over multiple threads. This makes me think that the device is not really running anywhere close to 1.9GHz. That's consistent with what

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 3:56 pm

What kind of bugs does 3d multithread option causes?
Does it affect any of pokemon games

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu May 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Android Fan wrote:What kind of bugs does 3d multithread option causes?
What happens is that the 2D and 3D are out of sync by one frame. The most common noticeable bug is the top and bottom screens getting swapped. I don't think Pokemon games have this problem.

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Sat May 16, 2015 1:54 am

Exophase wrote:
Android Fan wrote:What kind of bugs does 3d multithread option causes?
What happens is that the 2D and 3D are out of sync by one frame. The most common noticeable bug is the top and bottom screens getting swapped. I don't think Pokemon games have this problem.
nice i may try it if it gives a speed boost
So far like 5 fps