Higher resolution rendering

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
TkSilver
Re: Higher resolution rendering

Post by TkSilver » Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Issues with wifi emulation both infrastructure (over the internet) NiFi (direct connection to a nearby DS)
Exophase wrote: He probably knows, he just said that emulation wasn't perfected, which I think is probably pretty accurate (I'd say it's still nowhere close).

Nintendo DS's wifi hardware has two use cases and a bunch of different modes to support both. One we'll call "infrastructure", where it's used to connect to some Nintendo server. This is supported by something like a few dozen games. DeSmuME supported this way back when although it was pretty buggy, but I hear it plays a lot better with the custom servers (makes sense since they can willingly optimize both sides for it)

The other mode is where multiple DS's talk to each other in close range, which I've called "NiFi." This mode requires an extremely low latency connection, and uses a lot of hardware features that aren't completely understood. And I don't think DeSmuME's support for this works yet. It was our focus to try to get it to work somehow because of the Nintendo servers closing (but this was before the custom servers), but we haven't been able to get it to do much in emulation, and we couldn't even get a tunnel working with DSes in the same room going over a wired ethernet and shielded DS compatible wifi dongles. I think even if we could get that working we wouldn't be able to emulate it well with a direct connection because the latency requirements are so ridiculously high.

What I think is the best potential path for NiFi emulation is the same that I think is the best method for Gameboy and GBA link emulation: emulate two instances of the DS on one machine and synchronize button presses across the network instead of the NiFi connection (with the NiFi connection emulated locally). This would allow it to be used over the internet to some extent, especially if the use is things like trading Pokemon. But there'd be a large performance overhead emulating two DSes, even where you could get away without emulating video and such on the other one. And it'd require a big rewrite to support this. That, and we still don't really understand the hardware enough to get emulation working.

Getting infrastructure to work so it matches up with DeSmuME's support and can work decently with custom servers is probably a better thing to focus on. That does however mean that patched ROMs need to be used, because they're normally hardcoded to only work with the WFC server (they need the right SSL keys that can't be faked) I think we would need an autopatcher at the very least, and one that requires as little user setup as possible, or we'd be inundated with people asking us how to use it..

But at least the custom servers have some support for Pokemon (presumably for trading?), which is mostly what anyone wants wifi for. At least according to the list here: https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network ... patibility So that's promising.
Jay Haru wrote:people really cant get a clue. if it was as simple as 'hey, someone already did it, you can too!' then it wouldve been in there age ago. the fact that the hardware itself isnt fully understood should give them ideas. but who am i kidding...to them its just magic words....
From the thread seriously a few posts down no google required

Lagoonside

Post by Lagoonside » Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm

How do I sign up for the beta? Can't figure it out. Would love to do some testing.

WaffelBlock

Post by WaffelBlock » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 am

Exophase can you speak german?

Lordus

Post by Lordus » Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 am

Lagoonside wrote:How do I sign up for the beta? Can't figure it out. Would love to do some testing.
http://www.drastic-ds.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=828

It'll only work if you bought the app, of course.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed May 06, 2015 1:26 pm

WaffelBlock wrote:Exophase can you speak german?
No but Lordus can.

WaffelBlock

Post by WaffelBlock » Wed May 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Lordus kannst du für mich Exo was übersetzten? Als ich poste es in Deutsch und übersetzt es dann für Exo bitte :)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Wed May 06, 2015 3:45 pm

WaffelBlock wrote:Lordus kannst du für mich Exo was übersetzten? Als ich poste es in Deutsch und übersetzt es dann für Exo bitte :)
Translation (Via Google):
Lordus you what translated for me Exo ? When I post it in German and then translated it for Exo please :)
(I didn't know WaffelBlock was German...)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Sean

Post by Sean » Wed May 06, 2015 10:14 pm

Guys, we really should be staying on topic here. ;)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Wed May 06, 2015 11:11 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
WaffelBlock wrote:Lordus kannst du für mich Exo was übersetzten? Als ich poste es in Deutsch und übersetzt es dann für Exo bitte :)
Translation (Via Google):
Lordus you what translated for me Exo ? When I post it in German and then translated it for Exo please :)
(I didn't know WaffelBlock was German...)
Oh and BTW you can just use Google Translate like I did.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Lagoonside

Post by Lagoonside » Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 pm

Lordus wrote:
Lagoonside wrote:How do I sign up for the beta? Can't figure it out. Would love to do some testing.
http://www.drastic-ds.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=828

It'll only work if you bought the app, of course.
Yes sir! Best 8 bucks I spent at the time. for what it's worth and what little I know, exo and whoever worked on this really know their Programming (im assuming you part of that team, kudos)

Edit: Never been part of a beta before. Am I suppose to give impressions or details to how it runs on my phone? If so, Note 3 Tmobile version. Running a custom rom on 4.4. All games work, with one or two running just a little bit slower than without the high res turned on. No graphic issues, no crashes, runs normal on everything Ive thrown at it so far. Highly impressed. Will continue to see how other games run and look.