Higher resolution rendering

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
jahguy7
Re: Higher resolution rendering

Post by jahguy7 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:28 pm

I recently downloaded the beta, and I must say, it is wonderful! It brings each game to life a little more. Of course, I have a lower end phone, so it is a little laggy, but I still think the payoff is worth it for the better experience.

I have a few questions about performance and settings though. How does 'Use Low-Res UI textures' effect the graphics? Is it a noticible difference, or is it better I turn it off to save a few fps? I also haven't noticed 'sleep in rendering thread' before , that option. What does this do exactly. Thanks

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:47 pm

jahguy7 wrote: I have a few questions about performance and settings though. How does 'Use Low-Res UI textures' effect the graphics? Is it a noticible difference, or is it better I turn it off to save a few fps? I also haven't noticed 'sleep in rendering thread' before , that option. What does this do exactly. Thanks
Low-res UI just uses the lower resolution version of the virtual gampad skins. Basically the 10k version rather then the 25k. If you have ram less then 2GB and you have the virtual gamepad on screen it may give you a little performance, but I assume it is more in there so devices with lower ram don't crash as much.

The sleep in rendering thread you would have to ask exo or maybe lordus.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:46 am

TkSilver wrote:The sleep in rendering thread you would have to ask exo or maybe lordus.
It's an Android option that Lordus implemented, but it's there to work around buggy Qualcomm drivers. If you have really bad performance, especially with 32-bit rendering, you can try it to see if it helps.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:06 am

Exophase wrote:
TkSilver wrote:The sleep in rendering thread you would have to ask exo or maybe lordus.
It's an Android option that Lordus implemented, but it's there to work around buggy Qualcomm drivers. If you have really bad performance, especially with 32-bit rendering, you can try it to see if it helps.
It appears to be enabled by default for my phone with a qualcomm chipset although previous versions without that seemed to work fine. I'll leave it enabled though. I doubt I need to use low res textures with under 2GB ram either. 1.5gb should be fine

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:59 am

kaikun97 wrote: It appears to be enabled by default for my phone with a qualcomm chipset although previous versions without that seemed to work fine. I'll leave it enabled though. I doubt I need to use low res textures with under 2GB ram either. 1.5gb should be fine
It is enabled by default in the beta period. I have an exynos chipset and it's enabled. Though disabling it does not seem to really effect anything noticable.

And no with 1.5GB of ram you probably don't need to use low res under 2GB but if you have 2GB or more you probably will not gain any benefit from enabling it. All ot does is use the lower res skin files which in turn lower the amount of ram they take up. Well technically it should be using Vram but I do not know of any android gpu with dedicated vram. (even the vaunted tegra X1/k1 uses shared memory) So assuming you have the majority of your ram free then a couple hundred KB won't really mean much.... but if you already have stretched system reasources (through low initial ram, lots of background processes sitting in ram and not allowing it tombe freed, or a memory leak) it could offer the emulator more memory and that in turn would speed up emulation a bit.