Gengar,Pokemon Diamond

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
starstalker111
Gengar,Pokemon Diamond

Post by starstalker111 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Hello,I have one question:is it possible to catch gengar in the Old chetau in Pokemon diamond version using drastic emulator?I seem to find only Gastlys in the room with odd picture :/

Hawntah

Re: Gengar,Pokemon Diamond

Post by Hawntah » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 pm

You'd need to have one of the GBA games in the GBA slot, I don't think DraStic supports dual slot mode (yet). And since you can't trade, the only way to get a Gengar is by cheating/save editing.

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Now that they added fog emulation i think the next feature us pokemon gamers want other than wifi which is hard is making a fully working gba slot would be a nice bonus feature for this emulator

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:16 pm

Android Fan wrote:Now that they added fog emulation i think the next feature us pokemon gamers want other than wifi which is hard is making a fully working gba slot would be a nice bonus feature for this emulator
That's probably doable. The one thing I'm worried about is that you might need a Nintendo ARM7 BIOS because the game compares the GBA logo in the cartridge with the one in the BIOS. And our BIOS doesn't include that because of copyright (and maybe trademark)

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:38 pm

So those games actually compare a bitmap of the GBA logo in the cart with the bios? Or is it some signature? Either way, that's kind of interesting. Any reason the loaded GBA ROM's logo be blanked out with zeros or something?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:38 pm

xperia64 wrote:So those games actually compare a bitmap of the GBA logo in the cart with the bios? Or is it some signature? Either way, that's kind of interesting. Any reason the loaded GBA ROM's logo be blanked out with zeros or something?
I've thought about that, but I don't know if it does any checksumming on the ROM data or what have you. Worth trying though.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:16 am

Another thought, is it possible to copy the logo data from the GBA ROM to where the game expects it in the bios on the fly? And I looked into GBA logo stuff a bit more, and ucon64 actually contains the logo data (line 245): http://ucon64.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewv ... iew=markup

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:29 pm

xperia64 wrote:Another thought, is it possible to copy the logo data from the GBA ROM to where the game expects it in the bios on the fly? And I looked into GBA logo stuff a bit more, and ucon64 actually contains the logo data (line 245): http://ucon64.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewv ... iew=markup
That's a great idea. I left space in the ARM9 BIOS for this (I made a mistake earlier, that's the BIOS you need, not ARM7) so it should work, assuming I got the offsets right...

Lots of things contain the logo data, various emulators and tools, as well as the ARM7 encryption data. But I'm still not sure that Nintendo wouldn't have a copyright or trademark case against this, even if they haven't went others for this particular reason.

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:33 am

But cant we users dump our own bios 9 file to use it if we want to use the gba slot?
Or cant this emu use custom bios files at this moment
Would be a good moment to implement custom firmware and add a boot from ds menu like a real ds for eye candy xD

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Android Fan wrote:But cant we users dump our own bios 9 file to use it if we want to use the gba slot?
Or cant this emu use custom bios files at this moment
Would be a good moment to implement custom firmware and add a boot from ds menu like a real ds for eye candy xD
You can use a Nintendo BIOS, there are directions on how to do it in the FAQ. The first release actually required it, but that resulted in like a billion refund requests per day so I had to scramble to write a custom replacement BIOS.

I don't think it'll be necessary for GBA slot afterall.

You can use a DS firmware as well, but you can't boot from it because the encryption/decryption hardware isn't emulated.