Multiplayer/Wifi

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Jay Haru
Re: Multiplayer/Wifi

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:13 am

Exophase wrote:That's good information to have, thanks xperia64. The ROM patching is a pretty minor issue that I'd only start worrying about much further down the road. I didn't know it was so simple as changing the URL to http, I thought that requiring the https and SSL keys was hardcoded. Maybe this was a testing feature that survived? In this case, it should be possible to patch ROMs by a heuristic.

I have no problem using a uniquely identifiable MAC address for DraStic that can't be changed, although I'm sure that'll make some users angry if it does get banned.
i doubt some is the correct term.

just to ask tho, will some features like in tierkreis where jobs can be made available from other players or something custom like that (like in wild crossings) be possible? while i know few will ever think of the feature outside pokemon, I am also curious if this can be done as well.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:31 am

Sorry, I don't really know.. my knowledge of what individual DS games use the wifi for/how they use it is limited.

xperia64

Post by xperia64 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I also have no idea how tierkreis works, but AltWFC rotates pokemon mystery gifts every month or so. For other less documented games, new/custom features will be difficult. In terms of WarioWare D.I.Y., for example, it'd be nice if we could get the contests to work, but to easily recreate that would require packet captures from 2010 that we don't have.

Standard features that don't require the gamestats/gamestats2 servers or any defunct 3rd party server should work as normal for most games.

beansta

Post by beansta » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:14 pm

See i wasnt even aware that other custom servers existed for nintendo hardware (only knew about Wiimmfi because of having to softrnod a wii to play my legit Mariokartwii and SSBB online without much problem).
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Chiqx

Post by Chiqx » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 am

So the dev said its pretty hard to add the multiplayer function into the emulator. The SNES emulator "SuperRetro16" for android and iOS can emulate snes games and both can play via WiFi, Bluetooth. How does it work there? Maybe its almost the same so they can look there and implement it to drastic. Will multiplayer support be in the next update? because ive been waiting now a year for the next update (it will be a year within a few months) and if its still not multiplayer thats kinda sad. I mean, 1 year guys. thats crazy. for just 1 update. and if this update isnt huge then i will be kinda disappointed. wether its hard or not, thats lots of time. and im not ok with just a few bug fixes and easy functions to be honest.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Chiqx wrote:So the dev said its pretty hard to add the multiplayer function into the emulator. The SNES emulator "SuperRetro16" for android and iOS can emulate snes games and both can play via WiFi, Bluetooth. How does it work there? Maybe its almost the same so they can look there and implement it to drastic. Will multiplayer support be in the next update? because ive been waiting now a year for the next update (it will be a year within a few months) and if its still not multiplayer thats kinda sad. I mean, 1 year guys. thats crazy. for just 1 update. and if this update isnt huge then i will be kinda disappointed. wether its hard or not, thats lots of time. and im not ok with just a few bug fixes and easy functions to be honest.
The issue is that the dev team are unable to emulate the Nintendo DS wifi as the nintendo ds uses a odd prophietry WiFi and Wireless Chipset which must be emulated for wifi to work. It may be a while untill they are able to figure out hpw to emulate it

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Chiqx wrote:So the dev said its pretty hard to add the multiplayer function into the emulator. The SNES emulator "SuperRetro16" for android and iOS can emulate snes games and both can play via WiFi, Bluetooth. How does it work there? Maybe its almost the same so they can look there and implement it to drastic. Will multiplayer support be in the next update? because ive been waiting now a year for the next update (it will be a year within a few months) and if its still not multiplayer thats kinda sad. I mean, 1 year guys. thats crazy. for just 1 update. and if this update isnt huge then i will be kinda disappointed. wether its hard or not, thats lots of time. and im not ok with just a few bug fixes and easy functions to be honest.
It's totally different. For typical consoles the only extra hardware you have to emulate is the second controller, which is usually trivial. The rest of the netplay involves synchronizing the state of both controllers for both players. The added lag can make the games harder to play the game but it won't break it, because the game has no idea that there's lag and not just a player with poor reactions. I've added support for this kind of netplay in a TurboGrafx-16 emulator so I don't need to learn anything about it from another emulator. Not sure how we would look at SuperRetro16 anyway, since it's closed source and I kind of doubt they'd fork their source over (at least without a source trade which we wouldn't do either)

On Nintendo DS the wifi hardware has to be emulated, which is complex and not fully understood. And at least for "NiFi" mode where two DSes link together in close proximity, it only works if very low latency is ensured, latency that you'll have a hard time getting even with two Android devices next to each other because they weren't designed for it. Meanwhile the other mode is intended to work with WFC servers that don't even exist anymore, and supporting the unofficial custom servers has its own problem. And I don't even know which mode it is you particularly demand is added.

If you want to know what will be in the next version use the beta. No, it won't have wifi. Sorry if that disappoints you, but you're probably not in a very good position to determine what is and isn't an easy or hard feature. Eg, adding edge marking may seem trivial to you, but it actually took a fair amount of thought and work to get something that came without a big performance hit.

The app description explicitly says wifi isn't supported, and it doesn't come with a promise that it will be added one day or we won't sleep until it is. If it ever is added that will be something extra, and may not work all that well. We've done tests and some ground work and weren't encouraged by the results.

1ht1baron

Post by 1ht1baron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Exophase wrote:
It's totally different. For typical consoles the only extra hardware you have to emulate is the second controller, which is usually trivial. The rest of the netplay involves synchronizing the state of both controllers for both players. The added lag can make the games harder to play the game but it won't break it, because the game has no idea that there's lag and not just a player with poor reactions. I've added support for this kind of netplay in a TurboGrafx-16 emulator so I don't need to learn anything about it from another emulator. Not sure how we would look at SuperRetro16 anyway, since it's closed source and I kind of doubt they'd fork their source over (at least without a source trade which we wouldn't do either)

On Nintendo DS the wifi hardware has to be emulated, which is complex and not fully understood. And at least for "NiFi" mode where two DSes link together in close proximity, it only works if very low latency is ensured, latency that you'll have a hard time getting even with two Android devices next to each other because they weren't designed for it. Meanwhile the other mode is intended to work with WFC servers that don't even exist anymore, and supporting the unofficial custom servers has its own problem. And I don't even know which mode it is you particularly demand is added.

If you want to know what will be in the next version use the beta. No, it won't have wifi. Sorry if that disappoints you, but you're probably not in a very good position to determine what is and isn't an easy or hard feature. Eg, adding edge marking may seem trivial to you, but it actually took a fair amount of thought and work to get something that came without a big performance hit.

The app description explicitly says wifi isn't supported, and it doesn't come with a promise that it will be added one day or we won't sleep until it is. If it ever is added that will be something extra, and may not work all that well. We've done tests and some ground work and weren't encouraged by the results.

Desmume emulator (PC) supports the wifi. It may help to you.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:29 pm

1ht1baron wrote:Desmume emulator (PC) supports the wifi. It may help to you.
Uh, no. There's a fork of it that supports wifi, but for the most part, nope and it'll never will. Unless if zeromus and the guys would decide to continue on, that is.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:26 pm

people really cant get a clue. if it was as simple as 'hey, someone already did it, you can too!' then it wouldve been in there age ago. the fact that the hardware itself isnt fully understood should give them ideas. but who am i kidding...to them its just magic words....
Behold my mighty