GBA Slot in the Future?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Emu Fan
GBA Slot in the Future?

Post by Emu Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Is gba slot support planned for the future some games get extra bonuses if a gba game is in the slot

For example all gen 4 pokemon games (pearl,diamond and platinum) get those pokemon available in the wild if you insert fr, lg, sapphire, ruby or emerald

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dual-slot_mode

Cheats could be used for those pokemon but not everybody including myself likes cheats so this little feature would be a great extra

Since desmume got it and drastic is already better than desmume in some things IMO i think drastic can get this feature too
It may be a little feature but i guess its hard work but pls at some point add it
And for migrating we could play on my boy which is the best gba emulator to get a gen 3 pokemon 64/128kb save with the pokemon we want to migrate
Not sure about the save size i heard that gen 3 pokemon saves are all 128kb emerald gets white screen on start if the emu is not set on 128 and firered displays a circuit warning if its on 64 and i cant save but im using CLEAN roms
The scene releases of the gen 3 pokemon games are patched with a save fix lol but i use the clean non patched roms on my boy with flash 128 option and every game runs perfect

Jay Haru

Re: GBA Slot in the Future?

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 am

Emu Fan wrote:Is gba slot support planned for the future some games get extra bonuses if a gba game is in the slot

For example all gen 4 pokemon games (pearl,diamond and platinum) get those pokemon available in the wild if you insert fr, lg, sapphire, ruby or emerald

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dual-slot_mode

Cheats could be used for those pokemon but not everybody including myself likes cheats so this little feature would be a great extra

Since desmume got it and drastic is already better than desmume in some things IMO i think drastic can get this feature too
It may be a little feature but i guess its hard work but pls at some point add it
And for migrating we could play on my boy which is the best gba emulator to get a gen 3 pokemon 64/128kb save with the pokemon we want to migrate
Not sure about the save size i heard that gen 3 pokemon saves are all 128kb emerald gets white screen on start if the emu is not set on 128 and firered displays a circuit warning if its on 64 and i cant save but im using CLEAN roms
The scene releases of the gen 3 pokemon games are patched with a save fix lol but i use the clean non patched roms on my boy with flash 128 option and every game runs perfect
the gba slot is already mentioned that is not on their target. You might think its a simple thing bu fans tend to not be satisfied and would be asking for more and that's dnot what the devs want. Besides, aside from pkmn there's not much games utilizing the slot.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 pm

It's possible down the road, but there are some obstacles that make it more complex than just putting the GBA ROM in slot 2. Like having to emulate at least some types of GBA save storage and figuring out where to get those files. Another thing is that the DS games check for the Nintendo logo in the GBA slot to see if a game is there, and they get the logo from the BIOS. So it might not work if you don't have a Nintendo BIOS as well (we don't store the logo in the DraStic BIOS because of copyright)

Emu Fan

Post by Emu Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:21 pm

So what you wont add it because fans will ask for more?
I dont get this argument at all the gba slot is a part of the ds and since the emulator is a ds emu it should have this part working just like fog support which was missing and added in the beta...

Desmume too didnt have lots of features but with time it got custom firmware settings save support, v sync, somewhat working wifi, more filters etc so while Exophase and his team still support this emu by adding more features and fixing games adding a feature such as a gba slot in some point would make this emu only better so why not... and besides many people ask for it since last year its not just a few and this feature may work with say 20 out of 2000 ds games but its still a vital part of the ds just like fog is used by a low amount of games which some happen to be pokemon titles but yet it was added in a new version
It would be a good marketing move too aswell since a good portion of the people who bought the emu are pokemon fans and giving them a bonus would make thrm happy or attract more people to buy the app

AGAIN im not demanding devs to add a gba slot right now im just asking to please change your mind and add this feature even if its at the last final update this emu will ever ger
Last edited by Emu Fan on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Emu Fan

Post by Emu Fan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Exophase wrote:It's possible down the road, but there are some obstacles that make it more complex than just putting the GBA ROM in slot 2. Like having to emulate at least some types of GBA save storage and figuring out where to get those files. Another thing is that the DS games check for the Nintendo logo in the GBA slot to see if a game is there, and they get the logo from the BIOS. So it might not work if you don't have a Nintendo BIOS as well (we don't store the logo in the DraStic BIOS because of copyright)
ok man thanks for the info i wish i had skills in emulation id help you with this feature but im just a gamer hehe :/
As for the bios thing you mentiomed if we dump bios from the ds the second problem of the bios logo will be sorted right?
In this case that would not be a big problem even a noob can get the bios files legally or not (its his own problem anyway if he wants to have the gba slot support)
A quick faq explaining the need of custom bios files would prevent noobs from flooding your mail with spam about wanting help to make this feature work lol but noobs will always make 100 threads to ask the same questions it happened on desmumes threads and i see it happening here too
Im part of the pc pokemon hack forum and see it happening there too lol where there is pokemon there are millions of noobs there lmao