Dalvik OUT // ART Mandatory in a near futur : App Update ?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
sensai25
Dalvik OUT // ART Mandatory in a near futur : App Update ?

Post by sensai25 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:18 am

Hi,

in a very recent article on Android Police, and Android Open Source Project (AOSP) :
The first of the two changes completely wipes the /libdvm (Dalvik Virtual Machine) folder from AOSP, and the second takes care of changing all of the relevant configuration files and startup scripts to call on the ART runtime. Yup, this is the end for Dalvik.
For developers, this is as close to a flashing red light as you can get without an official statement from Google. While the next release of ART will probably go further to improve compatibility with existing apps, it's unlikely to clean up every last issue. In other words, if your app isn't already compatible, you should really get on that.
Source : http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/19 ... kes-place/

As a paying user, i love your app, rated it 5*. I am just warning you about what i found it recently and wondering if you have already planned an update to let us play on this futur update ?

Thx !

Jay Haru

Re: Dalvik OUT // ART Mandatory in a near futur : App Update

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:32 am

sensai25 wrote:Hi,

in a very recent article on Android Police, and Android Open Source Project (AOSP) :
The first of the two changes completely wipes the /libdvm (Dalvik Virtual Machine) folder from AOSP, and the second takes care of changing all of the relevant configuration files and startup scripts to call on the ART runtime. Yup, this is the end for Dalvik.
For developers, this is as close to a flashing red light as you can get without an official statement from Google. While the next release of ART will probably go further to improve compatibility with existing apps, it's unlikely to clean up every last issue. In other words, if your app isn't already compatible, you should really get on that.
Source : http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/19 ... kes-place/

As a paying user, i love your app, rated it 5*. I am just warning you about what i found it recently and wondering if you have already planned an update to let us play on this futur update ?

Thx !
just fyi, drastic has been working for ART from some time now so you dont need to worry.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:19 pm

As if Android doesn't have enough compatibility problems as it is without Google doing things like this. No matter how much they think they're improving ART compatibility they'll never really know until their improvements are public. Which is why they shouldn't remove Dalvik until ART has proven compatible and mature for a long time.

But yeah, probably won't affect us. I hope.

sensai25

Post by sensai25 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers both !

Aron2hip

Post by Aron2hip » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:28 pm

Exophase wrote:As if Android doesn't have enough compatibility problems as it is without Google doing things like this. No matter how much they think they're improving ART compatibility they'll never really know until their improvements are public. Which is why they shouldn't remove Dalvik until ART has proven compatible and mature for a long time.

But yeah, probably won't affect us. I hope.
It is currently public and been on stock Google ROMs since a few days after announcements, unlock developer status on your device and you can get it this intant, and ART overall is a good thing (if one ignores the minor setback of catching everyone else up).

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Sure, ART is good (they should have taken this approach from day one IMO - but actually it took them far too long to even have a suitable JIT for Dalvik). I just think that it's too soon to drop the Dalvik VM entirely.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:05 am

Exophase wrote:Sure, ART is good (they should have taken this approach from day one IMO - but actually it took them far too long to even have a suitable JIT for Dalvik). I just think that it's too soon to drop the Dalvik VM entirely.
They should've done a transition period if you ask me, ala-OS X when Apple switched from PowerPCs to x86 processors.