xBRZ filter

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
nintynuts
xBRZ filter

Post by nintynuts » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi Exophase,
Have you considered implementing the xBRZ filter? It seems to give much better results than HQX.
Someone has collected a lot of info including src here:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=34125

I understand this may be too processor intensive or something and might not be worth it, but I wanted to check.

Thanks for all the hard work!

BTW, I know it's been mentioned before but I'm also keen to see the higher resolution renders as used in desmume (and if we could use the filters on the textures too that would be amazing)

Exophase

Re: xBRZ filter

Post by Exophase » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Lordus does all of that stuff, he'll have to say if he's interested or not.

Q8-V08

Post by Q8-V08 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 pm

The C varient with Reverse AA looks the best to me, probably been updated since
http://filthypants.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... ilter.html
What I like about the Reverse AA is it doesn't seem to smudge the image as much and doesn't dull the colours.
http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3211
http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/2012/08/15 ... e-scaling/

Menubalk

Post by Menubalk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Could this be please implemented?

Not only does it give much better picture quality than HQ2X (especially look at Yoshi's nose, the coin, and the stone face)

XBRZ

vs

HQ2X

It's also 60% (!) more efficient than HQ2x, which is majorly important for portable/Android devices.

Please Lordus?

nintynuts

Post by nintynuts » Sat May 02, 2015 9:41 am

I've seen the high resolution mode 3d mode and it looks great, but I really think it would benefit from xBRZ being applied to the textures. I noticed that 2d elements also look very pixelated when using the high res 3d mode, so is there plans to enable the chosen filter on 2d elements eventually? (I can imagine it being annoying having to turn high res on and off to enable the 2D filter).

Keep up the great work!

Android Fan

Post by Android Fan » Sat May 02, 2015 10:04 am

Is hq. the best filter or scale? they look similar

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat May 02, 2015 1:32 pm

nintynuts wrote:I've seen the high resolution mode 3d mode and it looks great, but I really think it would benefit from xBRZ being applied to the textures. I noticed that 2d elements also look very pixelated when using the high res 3d mode, so is there plans to enable the chosen filter on 2d elements eventually? (I can imagine it being annoying having to turn high res on and off to enable the 2D filter).

Keep up the great work!
The general issue is that textures are designed for a specific resolution on console games. PC games either have multiple rez images or over rez images because you can use multiple resolutions. When you increase the resolution past the normal resolution it is like increasing the size of a digital photo with a very set pixel density,MP, and if you have ever seen a .9MP cellphone camera shot bkownnup you will understand. There is simply not enough image information at the higher resolution. This information is taken from the understanding I have of different emulators/filters then drastic amd maybe with its multiple graphic engines the ds works differently.
Android Fan wrote:Is hq. the best filter or scale? they look similar
Generally speaking Scale(N)x uses it's 4 neighbors to figure out what it should be while hq(N)x uses 8. The advantage of scale is that there is not usually a lookup table which can introduce some slowness but it also means it can be less precise. TBH they both do the same thing in the end and it all comes down to what gives you the quality you want at the performance lecel ypu want.

nintynuts

Post by nintynuts » Sun May 03, 2015 7:55 pm

The reason I ask is that I've seen it done on a psp emulator, and it made a huge difference. I would guess that currently the hq2x (or whichever) filter is being applied to the entire screen after composition (maybe per layer). And now that the screen resolution is twice as wide and twice as high, those same filters are having very little effect. My thought was to apply the filter as the sprites or textures are loaded from the ROM and store them at the higher resolution to reduce processing time per render (granted, it will use more memory). If the game uses mipmaps as you were talking about, those would surely be created from the upscaled sprites in memory so they will still be better. An added benefit in 2D games would be that the filter would detect shapes more accurately as it's only working with a single sprite, as apposed to multiple sprites overlaid.

Have a look: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=306

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun May 03, 2015 8:38 pm

It’s generally the same, the backgrounds are also textures. However, the upscaling options described here sadly wouldn’t really do all that much for those backgrounds. They primarily work well with clear geometric shapes that can be recognized, a pre-rendered background doesn’t really fall into that.
While it may help with some of the sprites the author of the article about ppsspp sums up my understanding quite well. He is answering a question about ff7 and filters though. I didn't think prerendered background art worked well if at all with most if not all filters. Though, in all honesty, my understanding of this subject comes from ps1 emulation and it's filters. So like I said I am not really sure how drastic or ecen the ds itself really uses it's 2 different graphic engines (2d and 2d+3d). I just understand how the ps1/ps2 handle prerendered backgrounds.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun May 03, 2015 9:03 pm

It's possible to pre-filter or even replace textures on some basis, but just remember that because DraStic uses a software renderer the expense for using higher resolution textures will be eaten on the CPU. This is contrary to PPSSPP which uses an OpenGL ES-based renderer. This also wouldn't have an impact on graphics rendered by the 2D engine.

In my opinion, if you're playing a predominantly 2D games you probably aren't benefitting much from the hires mode anyway.