some suggestions on the drastic emulator

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
pmgod123
some suggestions on the drastic emulator

Post by pmgod123 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 am

This DS emulator on android is very good. However, I would like to come up with a suggestion in the later version.

I hope the showing of the FPS can provide the accurate number(e.g this format: 60/30), not only providing the percent(100%/100%). This is because I have no sense on these percent which is shown on the screen. For example, when I play a game with emulator. The percent of FPS usually immediately changes to the more than 90%(e.g 94%-99%), then the percent recovers immediately to 100% or more than 100%(e.g 102%) at moment. so I wonder to know if this can be seen the full speed for running this game. Hence, if you consider my suggestion, the effect of showing of FPS can look like more intuitive.

I hope you can accept my suggestion. Thanks

Exophase

Re: some suggestions on the drastic emulator

Post by Exophase » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:33 pm

A lot of other emulators just report a frames per second number. I don't like this because it's not really clear what it means. For some of them, this number includes skipped frames, for others it doesn't. It can be emulated vsyncs per second, or emulated GPU command list updates. And you don't always know what full speed is supposed to be because it's not always 60 frames per second. For display refresh rates, a lot of PAL consoles are 50Hz, Atari Lynx is variable up to 75Hz, to give a couple examples. 3D display list updates are worse, that can change from game to game. If I displayed it like that you'd see games like SM64 say 30 and then people would be confused and think it's half speed.

A raw FPS number of some sort shouldn't matter to people. What should matter are these two things: how fast is it running relative to running fullspeed, and how many frames are being skipped. So those are the two values I give. First number is real-time speed where 100% is fullspeed, second number is percentage of frames that are being rendered (so if you set frameskip to manual 1 it should show 50%). Sorry if you don't like this for some reason, but I don't see how FPS would be more intuitive, and I'm not changing it.

If the speed dips below 100% for a short time the emulator will try to go over 100% in order to catch up. This helps prevent distracting audio skipping. And it might oscillate around 100% noticeably if the auto-frameskip is changing. If it's running without frameskip it should stay close to 100%.