Is there a way to try older versions?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Moonlight
Is there a way to try older versions?

Post by Moonlight » Wed May 20, 2020 5:16 am

Is there a way to get/install an older version?
I want to try version 2.1.0a, that requires BIOS files, but I don't know where I can find an apk file.
I purchased DraStic on Google Play Store so i think that license verification is not a problem.
Can anyone help me?

kaikun97

Re: Is there a way to try older versions?

Post by kaikun97 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Is the reason being because you want to use BIOS files? The latest version can still use the BIOS files if you place them in the Drastic/System folder with the correct names.

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Wed May 20, 2020 4:47 pm

I'd like to try an older version due to curiosity
P.S. I dumped BIOS and firmware using an homebrew tool and R4 but BIOS are in *.rom format and not *.bin
I renamed all (extension too) and the emulation seemed fine, but i don't know if the files were overwritten with DraStic custom bios
Was that the correct method?

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:52 am

Moonlight wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:47 pm
I'd like to try an older version due to curiosity
P.S. I dumped BIOS and firmware using an homebrew tool and R4 but BIOS are in *.rom format and not *.bin
I renamed all (extension too) and the emulation seemed fine, but i don't know if the files were overwritten with DraStic custom bios
Was that the correct method?
The older versions have much worse game compatibility. And the license check probably will fail as its not the latest. As for the BIOS files, they need to be named the following:
nds_bios_arm7.bin
nds_bios_arm9.bin

If drastic finds those, it will disable the Drastic Custom BIOS

One way you can tell if its using the real BIOS is to load an encrypted ROM, or trying to load a savestate (not in-game save) that was made before the new BIOS files were added.

Moonlight

Post by Moonlight » Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 am

Oh thanks
I always renamed bios files with "drastic_bios_arm*.bin" and not "nds_bios_arm*.bin"
I tried to load the game "The Sims 3" (I read on the internet that this game is encrypted) and it started only after using original BIOS

So, is there no way to try older versions of the emulator?
Is not important, I'd just like to see how an old version like 2.1.0a looks like: it's only a curiosity of mine

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:37 am

Moonlight wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:19 am
Oh thanks
I always renamed bios files with "drastic_bios_arm*.bin" and not "nds_bios_arm*.bin"
I tried to load the game "The Sims 3" (I read on the internet that this game is encrypted) and it started only after using original BIOS

So, is there no way to try older versions of the emulator?
Is not important, I'd just like to see how an old version like 2.1.0a looks like: it's only a curiosity of mine
The older versions essentially look the same. Only the very first 1 or 2 versions had a different user interface that was more suited for landscape devices at the time. I don't know where to get older versions.