Does Exophase have a secondary site?

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Does Exophase have a secondary site?

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 pm

I was looking for a specific Wii plugin (i'm in the process of softmodding my Wii) and while searching I came across this site:
http://downloads.exophase.com/405/dvdx- ... m-menu-34/
The 'Exophase' part struck me as familiar, of course.
Exo, is this yours?

EDIT: By the way, if anyone has the dvdx34.zip file, can you send me it? I can't find it ANYWHERE online, all I get are 404 messages. And the Homebrew Browser store isn't working for me.

EDIT 2: No longer looking for the plugin. I found a different media player (WIIMC) that has a built-in DVD player function, among other things. Really nice.
Now if I can figure out how to connect it wirelessly to my computer via SMB, i'll be golden... :D

EDIT 3: Got that working, all set :D
Last edited by ericbazinga on Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Re: Does Exophase have a secondary site?

Post by Exophase » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 am

It's not my site. It was made in 2006 shortly after I released gpSP for PSP, apparently because the owner liked the name. Someone I knew who knew them talked to them about it and they offered to change the name, but instead I asked them to add a disclaimer. Which you can still see at the very bottom of the page:
Named in honor of the PSP programmer Exophase.
It ended up probably not being the right decision because no one ever sees it, but at least they think it's my site instead of thinking I took the name from them (I've had the name since 1998)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Exophase wrote:It's not my site. It was made in 2006 shortly after I released gpSP for PSP, apparently because the owner liked the name. Someone I knew who knew them talked to them about it and they offered to change the name, but instead I asked them to add a disclaimer. Which you can still see at the very bottom of the page:
It ended up probably not being the right decision because no one ever sees it, but at least they think it's my site instead of thinking I took the name from them (I've had the name since 1998)
That's pretty cool!

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:46 am

Exophase wrote:It's not my site. It was made in 2006 shortly after I released gpSP for PSP, apparently because the owner liked the name. Someone I knew who knew them talked to them about it and they offered to change the name, but instead I asked them to add a disclaimer. Which you can still see at the very bottom of the page:
not true. eric saw it and i saw that site way before when i was checking if your name had some sort of hidden meaning....

i should prolly not have said the last part....
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:41 am

Jay Haru wrote:
not true. eric saw it and i saw that site way before when i was checking if your name had some sort of hidden meaning....

i should prolly not have said the last part....
Last edited by ericbazinga on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:16 am

Now that you mentioned the DVD player, I wonder how the Wii fares with decoding discs especially encrypted ones, since Nintendo never intended the Wii to play any other optical media other than theirs, though the drives themselves seem off-the-shelf.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:18 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Now that you mentioned the DVD player, I wonder how the Wii fares with decoding discs especially encrypted ones, since Nintendo never intended the Wii to play any other optical media other than theirs, though the drives themselves seem off-the-shelf.
Yeah it doesn't really make sense. The Wii is capable of playing discs through Mplayer and DVDx, but it can't do that natively. Which surprises me, since a DVD player function would be a good selling point for the Wii. They'd probably have sold even more of those bad boys.
I guess Nintendo was just unaware of the Wii's hidden potential.
Last edited by ericbazinga on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 am

It's nice/cool/funny/whatever to find those names around. Those things are very niche after all, but the scene is surprisingly small.

Had a good laugh once while seeking some old drama. Vanity is the spice of life :P
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:04 am

ericbazinga wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Now that you mentioned the DVD player, I wonder how the Wii fares with decoding discs especially encrypted ones, since Nintendo never intended the Wii to play any other optical media other than theirs, though the drives themselves seem off-the-shelf.
I assume you don't have the plugin i'm looking for...

Yeah it doesn't really make sense. The Wii is capable of playing discs through Mplayer and DVDx, but it can't do that natively. Which surprises me, since a DVD player function would be a good selling point for the Wii. They'd probably have sold even more of those bad boys.
I guess Nintendo was just unaware of the Wii's hidden potential.
That's my biggest gripe with Nintendo, in that time and time again they shoot themselves in the foot by differentiating themselves too much.