Favorite DS games :-)

Post whatever!
Jay Haru
Re: Favorite DS games :-)

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:17 pm

Exophase wrote:
fenixikki wrote:For me, Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
Genre: RPG
I bought this game years ago but I didn't play it very far, partly because I don't really like actually playing games on a real DS (at this time even DS emulation on PCs wasn't in a really great position for me) and I got lost in some early dungeon.

Maybe I should play it now in DraStic on my Linux desktop >_>
yes and have every drastic fanboy die of envy coz you can do it hi res.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:17 am

Exophase wrote:
fenixikki wrote:For me, Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
Genre: RPG
I bought this game years ago but I didn't play it very far, partly because I don't really like actually playing games on a real DS (at this time even DS emulation on PCs wasn't in a really great position for me) and I got lost in some early dungeon.

Maybe I should play it now in DraStic on my Linux desktop >_>
When exactly are you going to release a Linux port? :-)
The Ubuntu Software Center would be the perfect place for it.
And also the fact that you'd rather use an emulator than the actual system to play games is confusing to me. Sure emulators are convenient and let you play your games on your phone, but nothing beats the official, authentic hardware.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:32 am

ericbazinga wrote:And also the fact that you'd rather use an emulator than the actual system to play games is confusing to me. Sure emulators are convenient and let you play your games on your phone, but nothing beats the official, authentic hardware.
SaveStates, different screen size then is available on the original hardware, and it is much faster for some ppl to load a premade rom then to go through their game collection to find a disk/cartridge.
example:
I have been using ppsspp quite a bit lately (both the windows version and the android one) and I was getting an odd issue on a .cso I made so I went back to my pspgo and psp slim to test the cso the original iso and the UMD disk. I completely forgot how the 4.3" of the full sized psp screen looks and had to remind myself that I used to use it as a portable media player at one time. The DS has smaller screens then even the psp go's 3.5" unless your using the DSi XL and then the screens are still a little smaller then the psp. Not to mention the GBA (normal/SP) I used to play before the psp and DS.

While the only advantage of playing my console games through an emulator are simply not having to unpack the system set I up and find the right disk, plus save states and maybe some nice filters to make the older games look a little better on my lcd tv (hooking up my old crt tv is a bigger pain). For my older portable systems I would say that screen size is a significant factor in me probably not playing my games on original hardware if I can help it.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:35 am

I doubt I'll ever be releasing an x86 Linux version of DraStic.
TkSilver wrote:SaveStates, different screen size then is available on the original hardware, and it is much faster for some ppl to load a premade rom then to go through their game collection to find a disk/cartridge.
These are all good reasons but really I'd just rather play things on my desktop. It's a lot more comfortable sitting in my chair with a decent sized monitor and gamepad than holding a little handheld, and it better satisfies my inability to focus on one task for too long.

Hires rendering and fast-forward are some other benefits. Oh, and the DS's analog audio quality is pretty bad, even with headphones. Not as bad as GBA though.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:47 am

Exophase wrote:I doubt I'll ever be releasing an x86 Linux version of DraStic.
TkSilver wrote:SaveStates, different screen size then is available on the original hardware, and it is much faster for some ppl to load a premade rom then to go through their game collection to find a disk/cartridge.
These are all good reasons but really I'd just rather play things on my desktop. It's a lot more comfortable sitting in my chair with a decent sized monitor and gamepad than holding a little handheld, and it better satisfies my inability to focus on one task for too long.

Hires rendering and fast-forward are some other benefits. Oh, and the DS's analog audio quality is pretty bad, even with headphones. Not as bad as GBA though.
the only real drawback of playing on a pc is portability, in other issues, i completely agree.
although youve said it many times, hopefully you would still consider releasing one (pc ds emulator) if only coz lower specced devices may take advantage of whatever genius code you may make in the future (if you do make one, you did make drastic so...).
Behold my mighty

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Jay Haru wrote:

the only real drawback of playing on a pc is portability, in other issues, i completely agree.
although youve said it many times, hopefully you would still consider releasing one (pc ds emulator) if only coz lower specced devices may take advantage of whatever genius code you may make in the future (if you do make one, you did make drastic so...).
Jay, just letting you know that your ban hammer signature image is throwing a 404 and not loading :P

"Not Found

The requested URL /2013/12/ban-hammer.jpg was not found on this server."

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Too bad, but if you ever did release it, I can't even start on what kind of piracy could take place.
Exophase wrote:These are all good reasons but really I'd just rather play things on my desktop. It's a lot more comfortable sitting in my chair with a decent sized monitor and gamepad than holding a little handheld, and it better satisfies my inability to focus on one task for too long.

I'm just ranting, but depending on whether the system I'm emulating, handheld or home console, I'll switch between my phone and laptop. I only use ppsspp on both nowdays. Go figure.

And I hope Jay fixes his ban hammer image soon. It's kind of weird not to see it.
No. No no no no no no.

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:44 pm

JeaneMaggie wrote: And I hope Jay fixes his ban hammer image soon. It's kind of weird not to see it.
"Behold my mighty"

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:22 pm

JeaneMaggie wrote:Too bad, but if you ever did release it, I can't even start on what kind of piracy could take place.
The number of people who use Linux, want DS emulation, and aren't happy with DeSmuME is probably very small compared to the number of people who already use DS emulators on desktops.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 pm

kaikun97 wrote:
JeaneMaggie wrote: And I hope Jay fixes his ban hammer image soon. It's kind of weird not to see it.
"Behold my mighty"
It does feel weird not seeing Jay's trademark image. Maybe he should re-upload it.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.