Favorite DS games :-)

Post whatever!
Exophase
Re: Favorite DS games :-)

Post by Exophase » Sun May 08, 2016 8:46 pm

TkSilver wrote:Hopes Jeane never ever plays Xenogears
More Xenogears spoilers..
Spoiler!
I like how in the game the big organized religion lied to people by saying human life evolved on the planet. The irony was palpable.
But it wasn't all bad for the monotheists,
Spoiler!
given that there was a kind of sort of true all-powerful deity, the Wave Existence. Who was arguably somewhere from neutral to good in nature.
Apparently the religious themes in the game caused some uncertainty in the localization process. Good thing that didn't stick.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Exophase wrote:
Spoiler!
I like how in the game the big organized religion lied to people by saying human life evolved on the planet. The irony was palpable.
Spoiler!
given that there was a kind of sort of true all-powerful deity, the Wave Existence. Who was arguably somewhere from neutral to good in nature.
Apparently the religious themes in the game caused some uncertainty in the localization process. Good thing that didn't stick.
But.....
Spoiler!
The monotheists didn't worship the Wave Existence, but the mind controlling (to a degree) super weapon (fairly sad one since it could be beaten by 3 well more then 3 but system limitations mechs) that destroyed the ship and in a way was the actual catalyst for the introduction of human life on the planet.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm

TkSilver wrote:
JeaneMaggie wrote:I'll rant for a bit. FF makes me cringe since it kind of goes against solely practicing one religion in order to praise multi-ism.
Hopes Jeane never ever plays Xenogears

Xenogear spoilers you have been warned against spoilers in a game probably older then some forum members here.
Spoiler!
The major religion in the game not only is a tool of the people who live like a ruling class (See dig at the Church of England) in the skies above the surface of the planet, they also turn all non believers and even some believers into horrible ghouls which then get turned into food and feed to the people (swipes at all major religions with the non believers being less then human in their eyes though none have taken it quite so literal) and allmof this is to resurect some alien called god (well Deus but that translates into god) not to mention the whole planet, storyline of the game, and history of the series is a veiled analogy to the garden of eden and adam and eve specifically. This is when Jeane explodes.
If you read that consider yourself completely spoiled.
I already knew.
No. No no no no no no.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon May 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Exophase wrote:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Which explains why Nintendo originally forbade the use of religious imagery in games released for their first consoles, most likely either to prevent any sort of backlash or to be ideologically neutral and not leaning towards any particular faith.

Wisdom Tree challenged that mandate though. They may not be saints, as one account recalled how they thought of developing Christian video games for the lulz, though one Color Dreams staffer moonlighted as a Sunday school minister, but their premise as a small Christian eveloper kept Nintendo from going after them in fear of getting flak from parents and of course religious groups, more so as the big N is sticking to a "family-friendly" image.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon May 09, 2016 10:54 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:
Exophase wrote:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Which explains why Nintendo originally forbade the use of religious imagery in games released for their first consoles, most likely either to prevent any sort of backlash or to be ideologically neutral and not leaning towards any particular faith.

Wisdom Tree challenged that mandate though. They may not be saints, as one account recalled how they thought of developing Christian video games for the lulz, though one Color Dreams staffer moonlighted as a Sunday school minister, but their premise as a small Christian eveloper kept Nintendo from going after them in fear of getting flak from parents and of course religious groups, more so as the big N is sticking to a "family-friendly" image.
well, its only true for localizations of n games... legend of zelda for gb had crosses removed when it was imported for anglican speakin nations
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 pm

Jay Haru wrote: well, its only true for localizations of n games... legend of zelda for gb had crosses removed when it was imported for anglican speakin nations
Same with A Link To The Past for the SNES.
The game's english title itself was censored (its original Japanese name was Triforce Of The Gods).

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon May 09, 2016 11:55 pm

Jay Haru wrote:well, its only true for localizations of n games... legend of zelda for gb had crosses removed when it was imported for anglican speakin nations
The cuts and edits were only mandated by Nintendo of America as per their pre-ESRB censorship guidelines. When Mortal Kombat came out and there was a legislative meeting concerning video game obscenity controversies, Sega originally proposed to have their VRC ratings adopted industry-wide, but others saw it as a conflict of interest and thus the independent ESRB was born, ending N's puritanical stance on things. They did continue to deny publishing rights to games with certain content, or at least have them censored, though, like Body Harvest and the roadkill gibs being edited out in Cruis'n World.

Nintendo of Japan had no such guidelines which accounted for the more risque games being published in Japan but not in the States as it is. The CERO did impose harsher guidelines there in recent years though, so much that it's on the same league as what Nintendo once did before.

JeaneMaggie

Post by JeaneMaggie » Tue May 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Dear TkSilver, I forgot to tell you I actually like the whole Xeno series (Especially XenoBlade, ya gotta love Shulk). I mean look at the story development!
Spoiler!
LMFAO when these two scientists in particular accidentally blow up the earth and make themselves gods. The evolution of technology...the mechs were once just, well, robot armor tools, and then in XenoBlade, they...what happened was...

You'll have to google the rest. I tried to be as blunt as possible.
Jay Haru wrote:well, its only true for localizations of n games... legend of zelda for gb had crosses removed when it was imported for anglican speakin nations
Have any of you ever made it really far in the original Kid Icarus game? They didn't censor out much. Lots of religious stuff and b***s there. I guess the game was too hard for the people looking for what to censor...
huckleberrypie wrote:The cuts and edits were only mandated by Nintendo of America as per their pre-ESRB censorship guidelines. When Mortal Kombat came out and there was a legislative meeting concerning video game obscenity controversies, Sega originally proposed to have their VRC ratings adopted industry-wide, but others saw it as a conflict of interest and thus the independent ESRB was born, ending N's puritanical stance on things. They did continue to deny publishing rights to games with certain content, or at least have them censored, though, like Body Harvest and the roadkill gibs being edited out in Cruis'n World.

Nintendo of Japan had no such guidelines which accounted for the more risque games being published in Japan but not in the States as it is. The CERO did impose harsher guidelines there in recent years though, so much that it's on the same league as what Nintendo once did before.
The "beauty" of censor ship. If only Nintendo actually cared enough about translation errors instead back then. At least censoring is, um, more censored now.
No. No no no no no no.