[Suggestion]Make it an Alpha

Post whatever!
AsHperson
[Suggestion]Make it an Alpha

Post by AsHperson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:15 am

Even though, the emulator is released and such, I'm getting a real 'Alpha' vibe from it due to the constant bug reports and with the devs being swamped with edits and bugs to squash and more features to add. I just feel it is more appropriate to name it an Alpha even if you don't mark down the price, it should get the point across more of a warning to people to save your games more often and other things. Also, to add a little description on why its an alpha might be ideal to tell the people that there are many bugs/glitches/compatibilities being fixed and the emulator will grow over time into a stable work of art.

Jay Haru

Re: [Suggestion]Make it an Alpha

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:25 am

We can then make drastic alpha 2: the new comers and then drastic alpha 3. Then we go full 3ds and call it drastic 4 ;)
Behold my mighty

Howdareme

Post by Howdareme » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 am

I was thinking the same, it should be called " DraStic [Alpha]"

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 am

Howdareme wrote:I was thinking the same, it should be called " DraStic [Alpha]"
Seriously, when I first saw I thot it already is alpha since it said 2.1.0a. didn't know a is for android. On topic, wouldn't adding alpha hurt the status of drastic? Not many folks like the sound of alpha attached to things they buy as it makes them sound like testers(this goes for beta too)
Behold my mighty

Howdareme

Post by Howdareme » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:15 am

Jay Haru wrote:
Howdareme wrote:I was thinking the same, it should be called " DraStic [Alpha]"
Seriously, when I first saw I thot it already is alpha since it said 2.1.0a. didn't know a is for android. On topic, wouldn't adding alpha hurt the status of drastic? Not many folks like the sound of alpha attached to things they buy as it makes them sound like testers(this goes for beta too)
That's true, but there's always the demo to try out to see if its good, and they will be persuaded to buy it with the generous reviews.

beansta

Post by beansta » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:24 pm

It cant really be called alpha as alpha implies a barely functioning state. Drastic is a Full speed NDS emulator for many devices manufactured from 2011 onwards. Sure it has a few bugs and glitches here and there, but what piece of software doesnt?
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

Howdareme

Post by Howdareme » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:42 pm

beansta wrote:It cant really be called alpha as alpha implies a barely functioning state. Drastic is a Full speed NDS emulator for many devices manufactured from 2011 onwards. Sure it has a few bugs and glitches here and there, but what piece of software doesnt?
Very true but Its only on its 2nd version, I'm sure theres gonna tone more versions.

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:34 pm

beansta wrote:It cant really be called alpha as alpha implies a barely functioning state. Drastic is a Full speed NDS emulator for many devices manufactured from 2011 onwards. Sure it has a few bugs and glitches here and there, but what piece of software doesnt?
Ok then, what about beta?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't think we should call it alpha or beta because those terms are used in the Google Developer console specifically to denote versions that aren't publicly released.

I think the emulator isn't really in as bad shape as it seems, at least not for a pretty early release - you get a worse impression than you should on this forum because this is where everyone comes to report problems and there's a lot less incentive to post here just to say you're happy with it. If you look on other forums the average reception is better (and I think the rating is decent for now). But another big (and very real) part of the problem is that there are particular issues with Pokemon games and those are overwhelmingly popular, a lot of people only care about playing Pokemon. So that's a big challenge for us, and definitely something we need to focus on doing everything we can to improve, but it's not something that warrants giving the impression that the emulator just has bad compatibility across the board because IMO it doesn't. I'm tracking maybe 30 game problems at the moment (a large number of them I've fixed for the next release), and while that seems like a lot consider there are thousands on DS. Now I'm sure many games haven't really been tested thoroughly or at all, but still, with > 15000 users already and some good percentage who doesn't JUST play Pokemon there should be decent test coverage. Ultimately that's the most important thing for us.. I had it out for Pandora for months and while I got some quality testing there just were so many games there that people didn't really care about playing. Many of the reports we get now are too vague to be helpful but it's worth it just to get tons of people using it. I just hope enough people understand that testing-wise emulators are a lot different than standalone games and there's no way we could have ever tested it heavily enough in private to get nearly perfect compatibility and no emulator bugs. Especially not with the great diversity of devices this runs on.

What will help most is getting a good compatibility list going, strengthening and cleaning up the forum, and linking to these things on the app listing. If there are risks with losing saves and stuff I agree people should be warned, but I don't think calling it beta (much less alpha) is the right idea. We'll just get ostracized for charging for the emulator while calling it that.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Exophase wrote:I don't think we should call it alpha or beta because those terms are used in the Google Developer console specifically to denote versions that aren't publicly released.

I think the emulator isn't really in as bad shape as it seems, at least not for a pretty early release - you get a worse impression than you should on this forum because this is where everyone comes to report problems and there's a lot less incentive to post here just to say you're happy with it. If you look on other forums the average reception is better (and I think the rating is decent for now). But another big (and very real) part of the problem is that there are particular issues with Pokemon games and those are overwhelmingly popular, a lot of people only care about playing Pokemon. So that's a big challenge for us, and definitely something we need to focus on doing everything we can to improve, but it's not something that warrants giving the impression that the emulator just has bad compatibility across the board because IMO it doesn't. I'm tracking maybe 30 game problems at the moment (a large number of them I've fixed for the next release), and while that seems like a lot consider there are thousands on DS. Now I'm sure many games haven't really been tested thoroughly or at all, but still, with > 15000 users already and some good percentage who doesn't JUST play Pokemon there should be decent test coverage. Ultimately that's the most important thing for us.. I had it out for Pandora for months and while I got some quality testing there just were so many games there that people didn't really care about playing. Many of the reports we get now are too vague to be helpful but it's worth it just to get tons of people using it. I just hope enough people understand that testing-wise emulators are a lot different than standalone games and there's no way we could have ever tested it heavily enough in private to get nearly perfect compatibility and no emulator bugs. Especially not with the great diversity of devices this runs on.

What will help most is getting a good compatibility list going, strengthening and cleaning up the forum, and linking to these things on the app listing. If there are risks with losing saves and stuff I agree people should be warned, but I don't think calling it beta (much less alpha) is the right idea. We'll just get ostracized for charging for the emulator while calling it that.
I certainly agree about that. As I said, people hates being testers for something they paid.
Behold my mighty