Suggest Potential DraStic Features Here!

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Suggest Potential DraStic Features Here!

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:32 pm

This thread is dedicated to suggesting potential DraStic features to the developers. However, there are some rules:
1. No posts asking for multiplayer/WiFi, we're still figuring that out.
2. No posts about DraStic emulating 3DS games. 3DS is a completely different system from DS. Same goes for 2DS.
3. There is no guarantee that your idea will make it into DraStic.
Besides that, we'd love to hear your ideas!

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Re: Suggest Potential DraStic Features Here!

Post by TkSilver » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 pm

I would love either the ability to make a custom theme for DraStic, or failing that a Darkmor night mode theme choice.

I happen to have a amoled screen and white uses 80-90% more battery power then black. I know that battery saving in the menu of an emulator is kinda like paying thousands to fly to another country first class only to try and save a few dollars on your hotel bill, but yea.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 pm

TkSilver wrote:I would love either the ability to make a custom theme for DraStic, or failing that a Darkmor night mode theme choice.

I happen to have a amoled screen and white uses 80-90% more battery power then black. I know that battery saving in the menu of an emulator is kinda like paying thousands to fly to another country first class only to try and save a few dollars on your hotel bill, but yea.
isnt there a 'neon' theme included with drastic? i use it all the time (its black with blue neon highlights
Behold my mighty

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Jay Haru wrote: isnt there a 'neon' theme included with drastic? i use it all the time (its black with blue neon highlights
For the drastic menu? I know there are themes fof the on screen controls, but I ment the menu both the main one you git when you tap the Drastic icon and the ingame menu

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 pm

As for me...
I would LOVE to see Google Cardboard support added to the app. I bet DS games would look great in 3D, and I know exactly how it could work--
Stereoscopic 3D is formed when each eye sees a different image (slightly adjusted for each eye). DraStic would actually be pretty easy to adjust for. Basically, for the 3D screen, you'd just be doing some rudimentary image editing- each eye would see the screen tilted off to the side a bit (depends on the eye).
You could even differentiate the 3D screen (top or bottom, depends) from the other (2D) screen. For the 2D screen, no image editing would be needed. (When each eye sees the same photo without the adjustment, the image is still in 2D.) That way, you can still have top-and-bottom-screen templates.
There's also a button on the side of the headset, which could be used for swapping screens, swapping templates, or exiting to the menu.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:00 am

ericbazinga wrote:As for me...
I would LOVE to see Google Cardboard support added to the app. I bet DS games would look great in 3D, and I know exactly how it could work--
Stereoscopic 3D is formed when each eye sees a different image (slightly adjusted for each eye). DraStic would actually be pretty easy to adjust for. Basically, for the 3D screen, you'd just be doing some rudimentary image editing- each eye would see the screen tilted off to the side a bit (depends on the eye).
You could even differentiate the 3D screen (top or bottom, depends) from the other (2D) screen. For the 2D screen, no image editing would be needed. (When each eye sees the same photo without the adjustment, the image is still in 2D.) That way, you can still have top-and-bottom-screen templates.
There's also a button on the side of the headset, which could be used for swapping screens, swapping templates, or exiting to the menu.
stereoscopic means that you need to emulate either the top or bottom screen twice. i dont know how that becomes 'easy' to you tho... plus, how do you propose is the angles for each image should be? you cant just turn a 2d screen into a 3d screen either you need glasses to at least filter the image you do not want on one eye.
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:41 am

Jay Haru wrote:stereoscopic means that you need to emulate either the top or bottom screen twice. i dont know how that becomes 'easy' to you tho...
You'd basically be showing the top image twice, with the screens each tilted off to either side in a stereoscopic fashion.
Jay Haru wrote:plus, how do you propose is the angles for each image should be? you cant just turn a 2d screen into a 3d screen either you need glasses to at least filter the image you do not want on one eye.
You might be confused. Google Cardboard (https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/) is basically the Oculus Rift if it was made out of cardboard.
It has separate 'chambers' for each eye, separated by a piece of cardboard. The user will see each image separately and it will appear in 3D.

reeve

Post by reeve » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:18 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:stereoscopic means that you need to emulate either the top or bottom screen twice. i dont know how that becomes 'easy' to you tho...
You'd basically be showing the top image twice, with the screens each tilted off to either side in a stereoscopic fashion.
That's not how side-by-side 3D works. You would need to render the game scene twice, with two different cameras. Showing the same image tilted isn't enough to produce the 3D effect.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

reeve wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:
That's not how side-by-side 3D works. You would need to render the game scene twice, with two different cameras. Showing the same image tilted isn't enough to produce the 3D effect.
Oh. I was close though. (We could do that for a 3DS emulator though...)

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:08 am

ericbazinga wrote:
reeve wrote:
ericbazinga wrote: You'd basically be showing the top image twice, with the screens each tilted off to either side in a stereoscopic fashion.
Oh. I was close though. (We could do that for a 3DS emulator though...)
thats not 'close' :/ how would you even make a flat image 'tilt'? i imagine youd also need a controller as looking at cardboard, youre basically hogging screen space. also, this kinda reminds me of an old nintendo vomit inducing game... virtualboy i think....
Behold my mighty