Just a suggestion...

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Just a suggestion...

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:28 pm

I dunno, but you guys ever heard or tried Stop Forum Spam or Honeypot on this forum? I know we aren't really getting much spam, but those Chinese replica bag bots are getting annoying.

Jay Haru

Re: Just a suggestion...

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:30 am

huckleberrypie wrote:I dunno, but you guys ever heard or tried Stop Forum Spam or Honeypot on this forum? I know we aren't really getting much spam, but those Chinese replica bag bots are getting annoying.
chinese replica bag bots? well, i had been banning them and removing the posts (keeps my job ya know :D) so you dont have toworry your head. its annoying but yeah, we are taking care of it. also, exo isnt really savvy enuf forforum plugins or addons :/
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:38 am

Jay Haru wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:I dunno, but you guys ever heard or tried Stop Forum Spam or Honeypot on this forum? I know we aren't really getting much spam, but those Chinese replica bag bots are getting annoying.
chinese replica bag bots? well, i had been banning them and removing the posts (keeps my job ya know :D) so you dont have toworry your head. its annoying but yeah, we are taking care of it. also, exo isnt really savvy enuf forforum plugins or addons :/
Figures, since the forum looks so vanilla and all. :/

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:13 pm

And almost no sooner than you post this do we get hit with dozens of spam messages. Normally when they get through just a few things get posted. I really don't want to set a tight frequency post limit for new posters but I also really don't want to have to manually remove a ton of spam :/

I'm guessing someone answered the registration question manually and maybe it's in some spammer database somewhere. We changed it before, but it's really hard to think of things that are going to be obvious to everyone who will want to post here.

huckleberrypie, do you use IRC? If so maybe we could talk about it more there..

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Exophase wrote:And almost no sooner than you post this do we get hit with dozens of spam messages. Normally when they get through just a few things get posted. I really don't want to set a tight frequency post limit for new posters but I also really don't want to have to manually remove a ton of spam :/

I'm guessing someone answered the registration question manually and maybe it's in some spammer database somewhere. We changed it before, but it's really hard to think of things that are going to be obvious to everyone who will want to post here.

huckleberrypie, do you use IRC? If so maybe we could talk about it more there..
Hmm, if you want to we can talk about this on Skype or Jabber.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:27 pm

I got this mod: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... block_mod/ and started on installing it but it's a huge pain, you have to manually edit several files and the instructions aren't really clear :| I'll try to work on it later. I added another security question, but I'm really having a hard time thinking of ones I think everyone will be able to answer. Maybe someone could PM me some suggestions..

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:07 pm

Exophase wrote:I got this mod: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... block_mod/ and started on installing it but it's a huge pain, you have to manually edit several files and the instructions aren't really clear :| I'll try to work on it later. I added another security question, but I'm really having a hard time thinking of ones I think everyone will be able to answer. Maybe someone could PM me some suggestions..
That's my major beef with PHPBB. There's AutoMOD to streamline installation, but even with that, installing addons are basically an ass unlike Mediawiki.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:09 am

phpBB is infuriating. I tried installing AutoMOD using the directions here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/offi ... /faq/f_786 But when I go to the install path I just get a broken mess that has nothing to do with AutoMOD. Trying to deal with this in between manually banning spambots is giving me a huge headache.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:21 am

if only deleting and banning them bots isnt so time consuming...

say exo, why not try to add something like you need to wait for 1 hour before you can post anything? also, since most here only ask about pokes, just ask for something pokemon related.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:26 am

The bots already wait after registering before posting.. and the last thing I want to do is punish anyone for not knowing Pokemon :/