64bits CPUs - Apple's been there again

Post whatever!
luiscesjr
64bits CPUs - Apple's been there again

Post by luiscesjr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 am

I have to admit, even thought it's hard since I'm surely not one of apple's biggest
fans, that they usually dictates the trends.
Now comes the 64bits chips. How much of a improvement this could be to us?
Developing to iOS's chip is something, and coding to Androids hundreds of devices is
another totally different, how easy or hard will the industry develop to these new
possibility?
With Samsung on the verge of announcing and releasing to the public it's new chip,
what are you guys thoughts on that matter?

Jay Haru

Re: 64bits CPUs - Apple's been there again

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:24 pm

luiscesjr wrote:I have to admit, even thought it's hard since I'm surely not one of apple's biggest
Developing to iOS's chip is something, and coding to Androids hundreds of devices is
another totally different, how easy or hard will the industry develop to these new
possibility?
With Samsung on the verge of announcing and releasing to the public it's new chip,
well i guess the next logical question is if it runs crysis.
Behold my mighty

beansta

Post by beansta » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:55 am

The main problem i have with apple is the way they go about things. They say they innovate (and to be fair having the first 64bit mobile SKU is quite genius) but they have been ripping off of android for years, and claiming it as their own and moan that android steals everything from them. They overcharge for remedial tech which again they claim is top of the line but you can go out and get something from samsung, sony or dare i say it HTC that is similar or better for as much as £200 cheaper. AND the fact android offers expandable storage. I have 64gb in my S3 LTE, 32 of which i got for less than £7 on ebay.

This is my main problem. Apple push mediocre proprietry tech and hype it up as something that hasnt ever been done before. And yet apple fanboys lap it up. It makes me laugh. Paying double for an apple with a bite in it.
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

luiscesjr

Post by luiscesjr » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

@beansta You just summed up EVERYTHING I think about apple in the recent times.

@Jay I wait for that day, but mostly because when it happens we will be able
to play x86 software :D

Infinitelyblank

Post by Infinitelyblank » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 pm

64bit is cool, but I can't say it should have much impact on device performance. People going crazy over which register the device is running in reminds me of people losing their minds over how many cores their phone has. It's largely overkill on phones at the moment because no SOC comes with more than 4gb of ram. Just to be clear, switching to a 64bit register should do the following

It makes programs marginally faster (we're talking like a 5% speed increase at most). This is good.
There's also a marginal increase in power consumption. On a mobile device, this is bad.
Programs become slightly larger. This is bad.
You can run programs that require larger amounts of memory.This is good. No phone at the moment has more than 3gb of ram though..

the_cake_is_a_lie

Post by the_cake_is_a_lie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 am

Infinitelyblank wrote: No phone at the moment has more than 3gb of ram though..
Someone should make a phone with 16GB of RAM, what if I want to run a web sever on my phone :lol:

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 am

Targeting ARM64 could bring us (DraStic in particular) some performance improvements because of the increased registers and some other operations (like the instruction that branches if a register is zero/non-zero without affecting flags). But it'd be a ton of work, both the recompiler and all the hand-written assembly code would have to be heavily modified, and unless there's a way to use 32-bit pointers still some data structures would have to be modified too.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:26 am

Jay Haru wrote:
luiscesjr wrote:I have to admit, even thought it's hard since I'm surely not one of apple's biggest
possibility?
well i guess the next logical question is if it runs crysis.
Or GTA IV and/or Watch Dogs for that matter? Those two games are known resource hogs.