Atlus DMCAs PS3 emulator developer

Post whatever!
huckleberrypie
Atlus DMCAs PS3 emulator developer

Post by huckleberrypie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 am

https://boingboing.net/2017/09/30/rpcs3.html

Sure, I know emulators have been used to play pirated titles, but this reeks of being way too draconian. While emulators have earned a somewhat dubious rep for the above-mentioned reason, Atlus' argument that RPCS3 can be used to play their games for free doesn't hold much water when one can play said games downloaded off the usual venues (whose names I won't obviously mention) on a jailbroken PS3 anyway. Granted, some have somewhat profited from these emulators (which can be indeed legally sketchy), but DMCA takedowns on such projects do cause a chilling effect on those who only intend to emulate a particular system as a hobby and not to profit unfairly from it.

One of my friends was right in a rebuttal he made when we had a chat recently, in that things like emulators can be used for legitimate purposes and the association with piracy is just an unfortunate consequence. With Atlus' logic, perhaps the government should ban the sale of performance auto parts as illegal street racers are using it, right? Furthermore, third-party emulation (and some forms of reverse-engineering) has been deemed legal for as long as no copyrighted code (e.g. BIOS logic, game ROMs) is used. Sony lost in its case against Bleem (at great expense to the latter, sadly; they were forced to close shop due to legal fees) owing to the courts who determined that the PlayStation was reverse-engineered fairly. Also, the problem here is exacerbated by mainstream media casting emulation in an unfairly negative light, due to its apparent association with pirate sites and the relative ease of downloading a ROM over dumping it off a cartridge.

What do you guys think?

Jay Haru

Re: Atlus DMCAs PS3 emulator developer

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 am

working PS3 emulator when?

It's the same crap since the dawn of console emulator so nothing to say here and has atlus come up with some decent shit lately?
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:31 am

Jay Haru wrote:working PS3 emulator when?

It's the same crap since the dawn of console emulator so nothing to say here and has atlus come up with some decent shit lately?
Not a fan of their games tbh so I can't say much about the likes of Persona and whatnot. Then again they've been involved in some rather underhanded moves lately like region locking and filing complaints versus Twitch streamers from what I've heard so that adds up to my contempt for them. As I said earlier Sony took umbrage at the idea of a PS1 emulator, but they sort of lost the suit they filed against Bleem and Connectix, making emulation legal.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Still can't figure what Atlus tried to achieve with that. The user pool of relevance is pitiful, even considering pirates and whatever. Maybe who did this is just that ignorant.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 am

Fefo wrote:Still can't figure what Atlus tried to achieve with that. The user pool of relevance is pitiful, even considering pirates and whatever. Maybe who did this is just that ignorant.
Me neither. They seem rather oblivious or just plain out of touch with what they were trying to do or something.