Old smartphones running Drastic

Post whatever!
SSUPII
Old smartphones running Drastic

Post by SSUPII » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 pm

I tried to run Drastic on my old Huawei IDEOS U8150 with Android 2.3.7 (CM7) and... it can be installed with some troubleshooting but it can't be used.
Im a little disappointed but it's still a device where Drastic should not be used :D
I will soon try to run it on other devices I have
Attachments
P_20170619_220203_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20170619_220203_vHDR_Auto.jpg (2.18MiB)Viewed 16743 times
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

xperia64

Re: Old smartphones running Drastic

Post by xperia64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 pm

While Gingerbread should still be supported, the CPU in that phone is only ARM11/ARMv6, and DraStic relies heavily on ARMv7 features, so as such it requires ARMv7 or greater.

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 am

xperia64 wrote:While Gingerbread should still be supported, the CPU in that phone is only ARM11/ARMv6, and DraStic relies heavily on ARMv7 features, so as such it requires ARMv7 or greater.
The CPU of this phone is a Qualccom MSM7225 clocked at 528 Mhz, and its an ARM11.
It can run heavy GBA or also run Windows 95 with no problem, probably if Drastic was compatible with ARM11 it can run some simple NDS games.
Obviusly im not asking to do it, because who still use this "bricks" to play? :lol:
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:41 am

It wouldn't be that much work to make a build that runs on ARM11s, but it'd be like the Tegra 2 compatibility build where it has to use C functions for rendering instead of ARM assembly ones due to a lack of NEON instructions. And unlike Tegra 2 it wouldn't be able to make up the difference with a second CPU core, and the single threaded performance would be far lower (especially because it doesn't have L2 cache). I doubt even the simplest 2D only games would run very well. There's a big gulf between GBA emulation and even simple DS emulation.

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Exophase wrote:I doubt even the simplest 2D only games would run very well.
This is the reason I created this thread, I want to see how Drastic runs on old lowcost devices. I really whant to see Drastic lag lmao (Of course this is not a request to make Drastic compatible with no longer supported ARMs, its just a waste of time to make it just for a crazy random guy [me])
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:03 am

SSUPII wrote:
Exophase wrote:I doubt even the simplest 2D only games would run very well.
This is the reason I created this thread, I want to see how Drastic runs on old lowcost devices. I really whant to see Drastic lag lmao (Of course this is not a request to make Drastic compatible with no longer supported ARMs, its just a waste of time to make it just for a crazy random guy [me])
dare i suggest if you are a US citizen to test drastic on those free obamaphones like the unimax U673c?
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:03 am

Or those dirt-cheap, entry level Androids from the likes of Cherry Mobile, Micromax and whatnot?

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 am

Jay Haru wrote:dare i suggest if you are a US citizen to test drastic on those free obamaphones like the unimax U673c?
USA give free smartphones? Oh.. but im from Italy :(
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:19 pm

SSUPII wrote:USA give free smartphones? Oh.. but im from Italy :(
Sort of, but they're not exactly mailing them out to everyone.

If you are desperately in need the US government may help you get a low end phone and a very limited voice plan. It's mostly to help people with little/no income and savings maintain contact with potential employers and social services. It's not for entertainment and you probably shouldn't show your case worker DraStic running on an Obamaphone.

yoshikirby43

Post by yoshikirby43 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:24 pm

The og Droid or the Motorola Droid a855 runs drastic on the custom ics rom ok I guess if over clocked to 1.2 ghz