Warning/Friendly reminder

Post whatever!
TkSilver
Warning/Friendly reminder

Post by TkSilver » Sat May 13, 2017 6:56 am

Friendly reminder If you have not updated windows in a while (this includes xp even) do so as soon as possible also back up your important data to someplace not on your computer (NAS, Cloud storage, usb drive that is not connected longer then it takes to do the backup, ext.)

There is a Nasty Worm/ransomware called WannaCry. Being a worm means you can get infected without you doing anything (if your system is vulnerable) and being ransomware means it will encrypt your hard drive and all your data will be as good as gone unless you pay (and sometimes even if you pay) the ransom.

Microsoft should have patched this in march or april updates but if you don't update all the time....now would be a good time. Microsoft efen made a patch for Windows XP so if you have an XP box (I do) and it is connected to any network (mine is not) then patch it.

Jay Haru

Re: Warning/Friendly reminder

Post by Jay Haru » Sat May 13, 2017 4:09 pm

hnnn, surprisingly, it was first recognized by eset which is my AV {nod32}. nice job!
Behold my mighty

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Wouldn't anti-virus software help prevent that? I have Comodo installed on my computer.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat May 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Depends on how intrusive the antivirus is (how much activity it scans and blocks) and how camouflaged the payload (in this case the ransomware) is. In these types of instances if you care about your data then you can not have too many lines of defense.
- Good up to date antivirus software
- The official Microsoft patch
- A hard backup of any data you can not stand to lose on something other then you computer (like on a nas, external HD, flashdrive, DVD, CD, heck even a floppy)

Basically put in as much effort and annoyance as the Data you are protecting is worth to you or slightly less effort then what it would take to get it all back (if your steam library gets encrypted.... who cares unless you are on a metered connection then maybe you back up some of the game files elsewhere just to save on data fees)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Wed May 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Good news, everyone. Apparently WannaCry had a hidden kill switch. I guess the programmers added it just in case things went too far or if they got busted for it.
When WannaCry gets onto your computer, it checks to see if a certain domain name exists, and if the domain doesn't exist, it'll carry on with the encryption of files. Someone found out that WannaCry does this, and they bought the domain, rendering WannaCry useless, at least for now.
Anyway, it's all over, and I'm glad someone put a stop to it, especially before it got on my computer.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Thu May 18, 2017 2:29 pm

WannayCry spreads with emails and pear-to-pear. Having a good antivirus is always good, but if there is still stupids that opens everything they see WannaCry will spreads even more.
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 pm

SSUPII wrote:WannayCry spreads with emails and pear-to-pear. Having a good antivirus is always good, but if there is still stupids that opens everything they see WannaCry will spreads even more.
That is called a PEBCAK error. Problem exists between chair and keyboard....
ericbazinga wrote:Good news, everyone. Apparently WannaCry had a hidden kill switch. I guess the programmers added it just in case things went too far or if they got busted for it.
When WannaCry gets onto your computer, it checks to see if a certain domain name exists, and if the domain doesn't exist, it'll carry on with the encryption of files. Someone found out that WannaCry does this, and they bought the domain, rendering WannaCry useless, at least for now.
Anyway, it's all over, and I'm glad someone put a stop to it, especially before it got on my computer.
Until someone hex edits out the killswitch which would take some extreme hacking skills... SO yea safe for now.

Kostas Gangstar

Post by Kostas Gangstar » Sun May 21, 2017 10:02 pm

sadly i only use my android no virus os so the kids behind this can go **** themselves.

and i rarely use my xp pc online