DraStic Ideas for Development

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Dr.DraStic
DraStic Ideas for Development

Post by Dr.DraStic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:21 pm

The DraStic emulator enables Video Filters alone, but with development by Exophase, can utilize a Shader option along with, but seperate from Video Filters. The same way that DeSume on the Retorarch frontend allows for the use of a Video Filter & a Shader option both simultaneously while running DeSume emulation. As well that Screen Overlays could also be an additional option seperate from video Filters & Shaders. Such as CRT, CRT Mask, Scanlines, LCD3X & etc. For example a Super2xSal Video Filter for 3D image smoothing & a Super2xSai Shader for 2D image smoothing with a Screen Overlay option of LCD3X would look amazing for Graphics quality.

Instead of just High Resolution 3D rendering, the native resolution of Nintendo Developer System, Nintendo Developer Lite, Nintendo Developer System i, & Nintendo Developer System Extra Large can be added as an option to change the resolution. Each can be listed under a Resolution option within Graphics in Options, simply as the abreviated form like NDS, NDSL, NDSi, & NDSi Extra Large.

Steak_Typhoon

Re: DraStic Ideas for Development

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 pm

I think Dr.Drastic is asking for more shader options and a DPI switch? Or maybe custom resolutions. Here's an idea: 4k rendering; I know there isn't a device around that could possibly do this in realtime, but I would jizz in my pants if I could render a TAS at 4k.

Oh, and "NDS" doesn't stand for "Nintendo Developer System", Dr. Drastic, it stands for "Nintendo Dual Screen". I may have just completely misread you, but you really need to work on making grammatically correct sentences and coherent paragraphs.
Steak Typhoon: The most delicious natural disaster.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Dr. Drastic ypu are in luck DraStic does emulate in native resolution for the
NDS - 256x192
DS lite - 256x192
DSi - 256x192
DSi XL - 256x192

The screen sizes are different on each model (from 3" to 4.2") but that is more a setting for the layout then the resolution.

As far as the shaders go that would be something Lordus or Exo woukd know much more about. But you can write custom shaders and use those so maybe you can find something that works better for you in the shader thread.

Dr.DraStic

Post by Dr.DraStic » Mon May 01, 2017 8:03 pm

By differences of the resoution, I was mistaken. The only differences are The DSi XL has larger pixels & DSi models have what Nintendo considers "improved" colour rendition. Other than High Resolution 3D rendering, Native DSi Resolution multipliers like 1× at least up to 4× is what I'm now suggesting. As well as 64 bit colour rendition as an option. For a DSi BIOS Exophase can't really just use that without authorisation from Nintendo Co. However if someone a proper DSi BIOS dump was created, under personal use copyrights without redistribution of any kind other than for the original copy made for themselves, would be well within their Legal rights to make use of a DSi BIOS & firmware. As in only the acting individual can make & use one. Except for the legal loop hole of moded software & or hardware counting as damaged, even if an improvement is made. Thus voiding the copyright. Like removing the initial boot screen, main menu & other nonsensical software from The NDS(L) & DSi (XL) menus. Although different custom firmwares for The DSi (XL) tend to allow for third party access. Multipass Pipeline Shaders for more shader customization would help put DraStic on par with DeSume's personalization capability. In the same way that The Retroarch emulator frontend application for Android has Multipass Pipeline Shaders that can be used with the libretro core of DeSume. Nintendo Dual Screen is the actual name & Nintendo Developer System is a commonplace nickname. Neither as used or not would be bad grammar. That's just iliterate to write otherwise. What happened to DraStic development? There hasn't been an update for awhile. Did The Exophase developers quit the project?

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 am

Well the high res 3d option is already a 2x internal resolution option which is also why it does not help with 2d since internal resolution scalling does not improve texture maps.

Also a 3x/4x option does not exist since the 2x alone does push all bit the more recent high end devices pretty hard. Remember a 2x resolution scale is 4 times as many pixels. A 3x is 9 times as many and a 4x is 16 times as many pixels the CPU has to handle.

As far as the team goes the member that handles most of the android side is off for a bit, that is why there have been no updates for a while.

Dr.DraStic

Post by Dr.DraStic » Sun May 07, 2017 3:46 am

Alright. I suppose that since certain builds of DeSume can pull off 64-bit colour rendition, the idea is feasible for DraStic. 8-bit colour rendition would be for those who have a low end device & anyone who enjoys a classic colour style for their video games. Is there anyway that a sort of High Resolution 2D rendering can be created for 2D heavy video games like Pokemon Black & White 2 (DSi Enhanced) or Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon? Maybe even some High Resolution 2D/3D Rendering? Does DraStic rely on the device Hardware or application software or both to an extent other than the custom BIOS & custom firmware? As in to what extent does DraStic utilize The CPU & GPU of the device?

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Pure higher resolution does not help 2d elements like textures or sprites without texture replacement or filters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling this is a reasonable primer on why.

So DraStic does have filtering built in and that is what you use to make 2d look better on a larger screen. Personally I use the SABR_3.0 but depending on your tastes and device performance some of the shaders will push your GPU too hard.

Almost all of DraStic relies on your CPU (ask Exo as to why this is the way he decided to take), but the final image composition and the filters are handled by your devices GPU (that is why some devices can handle high res mode but not even simple filters well.... Android manufactures have really really bad drivers for their GPUs [except Nvidia and sometimes even them])

As far as application software DraStic supports DS homebrew but it is kinda a pain to get running.

Dr.DraStic

Post by Dr.DraStic » Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 pm

If I were Exophase & Lordus, if & when closed source development continues, I'd pack in some of the stuff I mentioned in here. Since they're available on various builds of DeSume. Like multipass pipeline shaders for DeSume on Retroarch. As well as increase the price for those who haven't purchased DraStic before to 9.99$ or ~9.1019£ so 9.10£. Trust me DraStic is worth more than that. For those who have previously purchased DraStic, updates would be free of charge by the difference in old & new purchase price. I'd prefer DraStic to stay closed source as long as the development picks up sometime. Since open source development won't have as much incentive till people stop purchasing the app. Actively developed emulator apps get more customers. PPSSPP is open source & didn't get much development until more recently. Not to mention that PPSSPP Gold really is just a reskin for donation purposes. Of which far fewer customers have spent 4.99$ or ~4.5479£ so 4.55£, on the donation version of the app. Where as Retroarch gets active development on github. The git version of Retroarch gets updates ahead of the apk available on The Google Playstore. The staging apks that show up every once in awhile are incomplete builds posted until the next git version is completed & posted. Get the updated git versions. For both links just select the device you wish to download the apk onto.

Here's a link to PPSSPP's automated buildbot.
http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Here's a link to Retroarch's automated build bot.
http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/

Kostas Gangstar

Post by Kostas Gangstar » Mon May 29, 2017 12:43 pm

Man i just hope more updates get released or drastic goes open source there are no other good ds android emulators out there so we only have 1 emu that hasnt got updated for a year