Might wanna cancel that Windows Phone port, Exo...

Post whatever!
ericbazinga
Might wanna cancel that Windows Phone port, Exo...

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/6/152041 ... dows-store

Microsoft is no longer allowing emulators on the Windows Store.
I remember Exophase was working on a Windows Phone port of DraStic, and he might as well cancel it now. Sucks but what can you do?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Re: Might wanna cancel that Windows Phone port, Exo...

Post by TkSilver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:35 pm

I don't think he was working on windows phone, but more a general windows app for low powered windows devices.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:28 pm

TkSilver wrote:I don't think he was working on windows phone, but more a general windows app for low powered windows devices.
I could've sworn I remember he said Windows Phone...

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:48 pm

TkSilver wrote:I don't think he was working on windows phone, but more a general windows app for low powered windows devices.
We were considering it at some point but that idea went up in smoke once Microsoft started pulling emulators from the XBox store. Supporting ARM Windows Phone devices was always going to be a big additional challenge anyway.

Standalone desktop x86 version could still happen. I can even do that without Lordus :P

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm

To be fair I think anything from the bay trail intel atoms or stronger can generally handle DeSmuME at full speed or close to it, so I am not sure the exact need for drastic on windows, besides just liking drastic.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Emulators are deemed legal following the rather phyrric victory Connectix and Bleem won back in the late 90s, but I can see why MS would ban them off Windows Store, as it constitutes conflict of interest due to them running software from rival companies. Still it is something of a draconian move on their end, and only serves to add to the tepid reception Windows Phone and UWP is getting.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 am

Huh... and i thot Windows phones are dead and they are now moving on to surface phones (is there a difference?)
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:16 am

Jay Haru wrote:Huh... and i thot Windows phones are dead and they are now moving on to surface phones (is there a difference?)
They reportedly killed off the Lumia line simply because nobody cares and there aren't much apps to offer leading to a chicken or egg problem. The recent emulator crackdown certainly adds up to the reasons why Windows Phone or UWP simply won't catch on.

UWP aimed to provide a more modern alternative to the decades-old Windows API, but it being rather convoluted and walled-garden-ish accounts for why it got tepid reception from enthusiasts who held on to Windows 7 or even XP (especially shops in the Philippines who inexplicably still stick on to the 15-year old OS despite the security risks involved). The initial UWP release of Quantum Break didn't sit well as players couldn't resort to workarounds as they did with Win32 games, hence why it was later converted to Win32 for its Steam re-release.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Since you were targeting UWP to streamline payment and DRM, does it mean that you're fancying a no-strings release to PC, just like on Pandora and Retropie?

If anyone used those versions, how does it compare to the Android version? It is "up to date"?
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am

Fefo wrote:Since you were targeting UWP to streamline payment and DRM, does it mean that you're fancying a no-strings release to PC, just like on Pandora and Retropie?
Yes, it'd be like those versions, not the Android one.
Fefo wrote:If anyone used those versions, how does it compare to the Android version? It is "up to date"?
The UI is a lot simpler and it doesn't have as many features. Still working on adding some rather basic things like screen positioning/independent sizing.

The emulation core is up to date on RPi, a little behind on Pandora right now (need to do more work with it)