DraStic DS Emulator rip-off?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
tanapoom1234
DraStic DS Emulator rip-off?

Post by tanapoom1234 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:14 am

Hey guys,
I found an app on playstore that seems to be using the same exact engine as drastic. It's called "NDS Emulator - For Android 6" by CPU Studio. Is this a rip-off? It's free with ads but it seems to work as well as DraStic with all the functionality. Even the settings are crazy similair with the same exact options.

Exophase

Re: DraStic DS Emulator rip-off?

Post by Exophase » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 am

Yes, it's a hack of an old DraStic build (not sure which exactly, but before high-res 3D was added). For some reason they relisted it, "Free DS Emulator" is the same thing. Maybe it's because I pointed out that they didn't even bother to change a bunch of the strings. More info here:

More info here if anyone's interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOnAnd ... r/dak5qx8/

I didn't check to see if they did actually change anything for this repost but given that it's not even by a different person it hardly matters anymore.

It's funny reading the ratings, where some people are saying it's an illegitimate hack while others refuse to believe it and insult the people saying it is. I think this one's my favorite:
Drastic is a copy This is the original emulator. Drastic is just a cheap copy of this piece of art.

tanapoom1234

Post by tanapoom1234 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:08 am

Ahh I see. That clears things up a bit and I'm glad I supported the dev who actually did the work.

Kostas Gangstar

Post by Kostas Gangstar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:43 am

Haha i saw this trash earlier the amount of idiots in the comments is amazing.
(Still not as bad as some of the comments in the drastic demo lmao)

I think i saw another free copy of drastic in the store not sure if its still there

yoshikirby43

Post by yoshikirby43 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am

Why would they copy this awesome emulator. I heard the rip of was full of annoying ads.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 pm

yoshikirby43 wrote:Why would they copy this awesome emulator. I heard the rip of was full of annoying ads.
Because this awesome emulator is $4.99

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Wouldn't filing a DMCA report work? Like, show Google some concrete evidence e.g. hex comparisons, IDA stuff, etc. proving that the rip-off is based on your work.

Oh, wait, looks like you seem to have ruled that out, but given how Sony lost a case versus Bleem I don't think you'd be on shaky ground with the report. You didn't include any copyright-infringing code in your app, but I'm no lawyer so I can't vouch for that.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:Wouldn't filing a DMCA report work? Like, show Google some concrete evidence e.g. hex comparisons, IDA stuff, etc. proving that the rip-off is based on your work.

Oh, wait, looks like you seem to have ruled that out, but given how Sony lost a case versus Bleem I don't think you'd be on shaky ground with the report. You didn't include any copyright-infringing code in your app, but I'm no lawyer so I can't vouch for that.
If DMCA's worked, then all the Pokemon ripoff games on Google Play that I reported for using Pokemon characters without permission (And not giving two fucks about copyright, running YouTube ads willy-nilly and pretty much asking to be sued) should have been burned to the ground by Nintendo. I hate how Nintendo will take down literally every Pokemon fan game ever (even if it doesn't even feature actual Pokemon and just uses the title), but doesn't give a shit about literal Pokemon ripoffs that steal pretty much everything but the title.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Strangely enough this might be a good thiang in disguise.

It is probably better to have people using one rip off then using 20 different cracked versions and comming over to the forums to yell about how this bug exists or that feature that feature does not work (due to the crack). Also if the ripoff has very annoying ads then hopefully people will eventually get annoyed and switch over to the ad free and more feature rich DraStic when they decide $5 is worth the less annoyance.