Perfect DraStic Smartphone: BlackBerry Mercury

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Rotkaeqpchen
Perfect DraStic Smartphone: BlackBerry Mercury

Post by Rotkaeqpchen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:34 am

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone who is looking for a phone to play DraStic with know that BlackBerry just announced a new phone that will be the perfect Nintendo DS console.

The BlackBerry Mercury will feature a hardware qwerty keyboard (touch enabled, with a fingerprint scanner in the spacebar btw.) and a display with a very unusual 3:2 aspect ratio.

The two DS screens will fit PERFECTLY inside this screen with no black space left. That will make a really great gaming experience.

Attached are two mockups I made (please notice that the first one is pretty old and is based on a fan rendering). The Mercury is expected to be released around MWC.

Currently I'm using a BlackBerry PRIV to play DraStic. It's a little on the bigger side but it's the only Android keyboard phone today.

I hope you like it as much as I do and spread the word about it.
Attachments
IMG-20161111-WA001.jpg
IMG-20161111-WA001.jpg (22.67KiB)Viewed 14453 times
MercuryDS.png
MercuryDS.png (801.99KiB)Viewed 14453 times

Rotkaeqpchen

Re: Perfect DraStic Smartphone: BlackBerry Mercury

Post by Rotkaeqpchen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 am

So excited! The phone's just been released at MWC 2017 as the BlackBerry KEYone, can't wait to buy it and install DraStic on it. As I already said, it's 3:2 screen aspect ratio lets the two 2 DS screens fit in there perfecly :D

http://blackberrymobile.com/

beansta

Post by beansta » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 pm

That actually looks cool.
Devices running Android:

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (CM12.1, overclocked, undervolted)
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (Stock Marshmallow...to play Pokemon GO on...)
- Tenfifteen QW09 SmartWatch (Kitkat)
- Fujitsu Lifebook T4410 Touchscreen Laptop (Remix OS 3.0)

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 pm

The only issue I have with it is the Premium Price (around $600 US) for the kind of hardware specs I would expect in a phone at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. The zenphone3 deluxe with more ram (4GB) and double the internal storage (64GB) is $200 US cheaper.

Don't get me wrong I love physical keyboards on phones (I used to own htc windows CE phones a decade ago). I also really liked blackberry years and years ago because they did email better then anyone else at the time..... But now a days they are just making a slighly modified version of android and charging hundreds for the keyboard.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Or you could get just about any Android phone and an Ipega PG-9055 controller to hold it in portrait mode. Then you've essentially got a NDS setup.

Steak_Typhoon

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm

I have loved using my nvidia shield tablet k1, it has mini HDMI output. I use the second screen feature in Drastic, so I can put the DS's top screen on my tv while I use the entire screen real estate of the tablet for the bottom screen.

For me, it wouldn't matter how good the keyboard is, I wouldn't use it because I have a bluetooth keyboard that beats typing with my thumbs every time.
Steak Typhoon: The most delicious natural disaster.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:29 am

if ya dont mind your wallet dyng, id say the galaxy s tab3 is the best for drastic.
Behold my mighty

Steak_Typhoon

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:41 am

Jay Haru wrote:if ya dont mind your wallet dyng, id say the galaxy s tab3 is the best for drastic.
I have one of those, I really like it for a while, then I wanted to put cyanogen mod on it and I couldn't get it to work. There was a c-mod rom for nearly every model number, EXCEPT mine: SMT-T210R.

After about a year of decent use, I started having troubles with the battery, it would die whenever it got below 30%, over the course of 2 months, it got so bad it would die at 77%, sometimes 100% :x
So I bought my Nvidia shield tablet k1 and have been EXTREMELY pleased with it.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 am

Steak_Typhoon wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:if ya dont mind your wallet dyng, id say the galaxy s tab3 is the best for drastic.
I have one of those, I really like it for a while, then I wanted to put cyanogen mod on it and I couldn't get it to work. There was a c-mod rom for nearly every model number, EXCEPT mine: SMT-T210R.

After about a year of decent use, I started having troubles with the battery, it would die whenever it got below 30%, over the course of 2 months, it got so bad it would die at 77%, sometimes 100% :x
So I bought my Nvidia shield tablet k1 and have been EXTREMELY pleased with it.
the tab s3 was just announced this year so unless you have a delorean and went back to the future, i claim shenanigans.
Behold my mighty

Steak_Typhoon

Post by Steak_Typhoon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 pm

the tab s3 was just announced this year so unless you have a delorean and went back to the future, i claim shenanigans.
I thought you made a typo and were referring to the Samsung Galaxy tab 3. My bad.