Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 (reviving old topic)

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
ericbazinga
Re: Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 (reviving old topic)

Post by ericbazinga » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 am

Exophase wrote:I've got an RPi 3 up and running with a 7" touch display powered from the Pi, and a USB dongle for one of those CanaKit wireless KB/mouse combos. This is all running only off of 2A USB power and I was worried that it'd be too much for it, but it seems to handle stress --cpu 4 without browning out. DraStic probably won't draw as much CPU power as that so I'm going to move forward with this for now. I'll check to see if it ends up throttling when running the emulator. I might just go ahead and order a heatsink now to be on the safe side.

My TODO list right now is to finish the input configuration, do a bit of refactoring, get a screen rotation option in, and get it out to testers. It'll still lack some features that might get in later like shaders (particularly custom ones). For those familiar with the Pandora version, it should be roughly to that feature level and with the same UI, plus configurable controls, rotation, and mouse/stick virtual stylus control. My hope is that the controls will make most games at least tolerable when used with a USB gamepad, which I intend to test for (as well as HDMI out). You might need to use a keyboard to set it up the first time, although it's pretty possible the default controller mapping will be enough to let you change the control settings to best fit your actual controller.

Unfortunately, I can't work on it much immediately because I'm really preoccupied with work, and going to be on travel (again, bluh) the next few days. But I should at the very least have the time between Christmas and New Years on leave and completely open, possibly also a few days before. I'm hoping that'll be enough to get this done, since I really want the first version out by 2017.
I'm just wondering, Exophase, is the RPi version of Drastic going to be free? And if it is, would you consider adding DraStic to Retropie?
Also what are the frame rates like on the RPi version? You didn't say.

Oh, and I might get a RPi for Christmas. I'll let you know if I do, because i'm also interested in testing.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 am

ericbazinga wrote:I'm just wondering, Exophase, is the RPi version of Drastic going to be free?
Yes (as in, gratis, charge-free)
ericbazinga wrote:And if it is, would you consider adding DraStic to Retropie?
No, that would require making it open source under a compatible license which I'm not going to do, at least at this time.
ericbazinga wrote:Also what are the frame rates like on the RPi version? You didn't say.
I don't know yet. Lordus did some tests at some point on his RPi 2, but I have an RPi 3 (which I haven't ported or tested to yet) which will be faster.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Is this running on an OS? The gimmick of playing it with DS4's touchpad is very amusing.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:37 am

Fefo wrote:Is this running on an OS? The gimmick of playing it with DS4's touchpad is very amusing.
Yes it'll be for Linux. I can't imagine doing this without an OS.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:05 pm

[quote="Exophase"]Yes it'll be for Linux. I can't imagine doing this without an OS.[/quote]

Hm, just asking because i dont know a thing about Pi OSs and it's function.

Then it might be able to run ds4drv for touchpad support. Maybe not very efficient, but easier than a custom solution.

---

Damn, quotes are still broken. Do anyone know what setting fix this?
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:31 pm

The raspberry pi and for that matter most (if not all) single board computers run normal operating systems. SBCs like the raspberry pi have to run ones with support for ARM CPUs and have highly customized versions to deal with the limited hardware capabilities (raspbian is debian just very optimized).

There are also speciality Operating systems like retropie which sacrifice flexibility for even more performance by removing any function deemed unnecessary to it's final goal.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:42 am

BTW, I got a Raspberry Pi 3 as an early Christmas gift. Still working on getting it set up the way I want it, but I'm letting you guys know because I'm now available to beta test the RPi version of DraStic.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Of course now that I'm on leave I get sick again.. Hoping that I feel good enough to work on this in the coming week :/

mintwurm

Post by mintwurm » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:14 am

I would like to express my gratitude.
Thank you very much for wanting to invest Christmas holidays into this.
Fantastic community service.

Please, if you are ill, don't feel obliged to work.

Have a merry Christmas and get well soon.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:05 am

I really hoped to have a release by tonight, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get around to working on this as much as I wanted to.

I do however have a working build on my RPi 3, so at least there should be no major issues going forward. I haven't tested much, but I think at least with low resolution rendering it should have good performance most of the time, and with high resolution rendering decent performance some of the time (eg, realtime speed with FS1 or FS2). The speed regulation and audio all seems to be working okay as well.

I just need to do some more configuration work, primarily to allow pressing virtual touch with a joystick. It's most of the way done already, just a bit more work to do.

I should have a build up this week, I think. I'll just go ahead and post something when I think it's ready and whoever wants to test it can feel free to. I'll work on a readme as well.