Ideas for improvement

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
ericbazinga
Ideas for improvement

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello, I use this emulator a lot (and yes, I legitimately purchased it), but I came up with some ideas to improve it. here they are-

1. More touchscreen capacity. You could calibrate the emulated touchscreen so that you could use a standard DS stylus. This would make puzzle games such as Mario vs. Donkey Kong much easier to play.

2. Book orientation. I have both Brain Age and Brain Age 2, but I never play them because I can never get the controls right. I thought a book orientation template could fix this. You could have two (one left-handed and one right-handed), so that you could play Brain Age, among other games.

3. Auto-backup to Google Drive. I know you can upload the saves to Google Drive, but if the emulator did that for you, it would be so much more convenient.

4. Public domain list. A list of public domain games that you could download to your phone and play would be cool and very convenient for those who just don't have the time to download the games and put them on their phone.

5. If you could move the app to your SD card. I don't have much internal storage on my phone, so most of the apps I have are either ones I have moved to my SD card or ones that can't be moved to my SD card but are too cool and awesome to delete.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

xperia64

Re: Ideas for improvement

Post by xperia64 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:59 pm

1. Impossible. Capacitive touchscreens cannot use normal styluses.
2. Already there. 5th layout in the game menu.
4. Yeah, might be a good idea?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 pm

To expand on #1, your most realistic option is to use something with a digitzer, like Galaxy Note + S-pen. Or use a device with a resistive display, but I don't think you'd like that option.

#4 we've thought about contacting some homebrew devs for. Most DS homebrew uses DLDI, so probably the best idea for this is to install a formatted DLDI image that the emulator can read, and make the homebrew .nds itself some frontend/launcher.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:40 am

1.) They also do make styluses (seems wrong but whatever) for capacitative touch screens. However the all suffer from having to emulate a human finger due to jow the screen works. Also your device manufacturer really had more to do with your precision capabilities then the emulator could ever do.

2.) Drastic tends to default in portrait to screen layout 5 but unless you select it. The help menu has the world's best instructions put into a mobile emulator or dare I even include games too. Though pictures would have been nice since the layout buttons move sometimes durring updates.

3.) Auto uploading anything to a person's personal cloud without asking them first is an app sin. Just as you want an auto backup, if exo did that there would be others wanting it removed on grounds of cluttering up their google drive and taking up finite space

4.) Exo answered that, and honestly I knew only enough to get vnds to work on my cart so...

5.) You can move your roms to your sd card and they play fine the app itself is 13.41 MB, If you have android 5.0+ you might be able to move it anyways and if you are on 4.4 well there yould be almost no gain if you could.
Now the Drastic folder might be able to be moved assuming you are not on android 4.4 Since in kitkat you can only write to very very very specific places on an external sdcard (blame google). Because that is the place that stores your ingame saves and savestates that can become a bigger use of space but also since it holds those items it has to be able to be written too. However the roms themselves take up far more space then either the app or the folder do.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am

1. I just have an LG Optimus phone, so I don't have an s-pen :lol: Thanks anyway though!
2. Oh why didn't I think of that? (Slaps face) I was really thinking kinda like templates 1 or 2, sideways but the screens are turned at book angle, but your solution is better.
3. Perhaps the emulator could ask permission?
5. Sounds complicated. I do have kitkat (i think) and all my roms are already on my sd card, so i'm gonna do what you said and blame google. At least they let me put minecraft on my sd card :D

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:22 am

There are some companies that make relatively fine tipped styluses that work with capacitive screens. But they're not cheap. The YuFu Focus (http://hex3.co/products/yufu) is $80 and has a very similar shape and thickness as a DS lite stylus (based on a measurement I just did). Nota is $60 (http://hex3.co/products/nota) and about twice as thick. I haven't heard of anyone using one of these with DraStic yet.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:35 am

Exophase wrote:There are some companies that make relatively fine tipped styluses that work with capacitive screens. But they're not cheap. The YuFu Focus (http://hex3.co/products/yufu) is $80 and has a very similar shape and thickness as a DS lite stylus (based on a measurement I just did). Nota is $60 (http://hex3.co/products/nota) and about twice as thick. I haven't heard of anyone using one of these with DraStic yet.
Yeah, but i'm not gonna shell out $80 for a DS stylus. Besides, the YuFu is for art and the other one is just a really tiny version of a capacitave touch pen.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:30 am

I just had another idea: Chromecast projection. you could send the video feed to your TV and use your phone/tablet as a controller. What do you think?