Stylus Substitution in game Requiring Stylus only Actions

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
Oberfranken0139
Stylus Substitution in game Requiring Stylus only Actions

Post by Oberfranken0139 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have searched topics for an answer, and, not finding one, decided to ask.
I have a game called Diner Dash, and am using the most recent build of the software. In the game, most of the actions require the use of a stylus and not finger touch action. Does anyone know of a setting work around for this and still be able to play? I am using a Samsung Tab 4 10.1 for most gameplay. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Exophase

Re: Stylus Substitution in game Requiring Stylus only Action

Post by Exophase » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:18 pm

The game can't really precisely tell if you're using a stylus or a finger, both will make contact with the touchscreen in the same way, but your finger will cover larger areas with less precision. So if the game tells you to use the stylus that's more of a recommendation than a hard requirement. Since your tablet's screen is much larger than an original DS screen this recommendation may not even apply, so if you haven't already try it first and see how well it works.

If you really can't control it well with a finger there probably isn't really anything that can be done to change that with settings. Your best bet is probably to buy a cheap capacitive stylus (like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Cap ... B008HJGPVO)

Oberfranken0139

Post by Oberfranken0139 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Exophase,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure whats going on, but I found my device came with a stylus but it doesnt have a narrow point, it is a fat rounded one. My gameplay is halted from start because when you have to use stylus to click on red arrow at bottom right of gameplay, this shows queue. Then with the stylus, you pick up and drag them to a table. I am unable to seat anyone for some reason using stylus or finger. When I try to they don't sit and process starts me off at beginning of viewing queue and select someone to seat. Any suggestions about this? I looked at your recommendation. Do you feel it will help?

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 pm

The real issue is not stylus vs finger it is a difference in the 2 major types of touchscreens resistive and capacitive.

(Warning over simplified technology in coming)
Resistive screens use pressure to detect input. The advantage is anything can make an input and a finer tool (stylus) can make a finer input. Downside is screen quality goes way down due to the many extra layers and space needed for the pressure input and the restrictions of materials suited to be the top layer.
Not too bad on a massively low res small screen like on a DS a major downside on a smartphone.

Capacitive screens use the conductive quality of the human body to create electrostatic changes in a small field under the screen. The advantage is you can make a rally sharp nice looking screen, you can support multiple inputs and also multiple inputs at relatively small distances from each other and they still register, and finaly you can use materials like glass which are much sharper and less prone to scratching then softer materials needed to be used to allow for pressure sensing.
The downside is that fine percision is not really possible due to bothe the requirement that the object being used is conductive and due to how the technology works. The only way around this limitation is what samsung nvidia and others have done and that is to have an active matrix and active pen (stylus) but most devices do not support this.

(Tech speak over)

Tl;Dr
A capactive stylus won't really help much unless it is one of those hundred dollar active ones and even then that only helps nvidia shield tablet owners and samsung note owners since those are the only devices that those work on.

The loss of percision on the few games that require it is off set by the ability to be able to use more then one button at a time with the onscreen controls which would be lost if your device had a resistive screen which would eliminate any game that required more then one controller button to be pushed at the same time unless an external controller was used.