Sound Cracking or Popping ?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
TkSilver
Re: Sound Cracking or Popping ?

Post by TkSilver » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:18 am

ShinyRogue wrote: Firstly I am using everything at default settings I did clean install 2 times . And tried with other settings but nothing changed . Because at the same time I am checking FPS in screen .

It seems clearly an issue about FPS .

About roms I put them there firstly as uncompressed but later realized emulator already uncompressing them before play , I put them as zipped because if we extract that temporary unzipped file that will easiest fix probably for that problem . But no luck because program still extracting them to the SD card .
As I have all Pokemon games I didn't try Black 1 (It's around 256 MB) but I tried HeartGold and SoulSilver for a while those roms are 128 MB , before I got UHS-1 card those roms have same problem but after got it those games seems fixed , I mean smaller games . But Black White 2 is biggest pokemon game and it's 512 MB really huge rom . If I don't use adoptable storage feature of 6.0's already no way to unzip it .
We can do a few tricks to help performance and test if that keeps your fps closer to 100%/100% and hopefully with an audio tweek that will fix it.

Go into the options and go into video options first.
make sure high resolution rendering is off (for now)
lets just for testing turn off the filter if one is on (this should not make a difference but it won't hurt to turn it off)
Turn on Multi-threaded rendering and restart DraStic (although with the latest updates you should not have to reset it won't hurt to do it.)-- this option will give you more performance by using more of your phones processing power but in some games (luckily for you Pokemon is not usually one) it can cause problems.

You can test right here if you want and see if this fixes things for you, but for best chances you might want to also go into audio settings and turn audio latency to high or very high since the very slight input lag it can sometimes cause is not a major issue for the way Pokemon is played (though on timing based games like elite beat agents it can be a problem).

Also about adoptable storage. You can use roms stored on non adopted sd card storage while drastic is in internal storage. Your roms would be on the external storage and internal storage would only hold ingame saves and savestates (plus extra filters or skins if your into those). But if you need the adoptable storage for other programs I understand. 8 GB on a phone can be rough espically when only a little under 4 GB is left usable.

The other option is to use a computer to unzip the roms and then transfer the .nds roms back on to the device. Or you could place the roms in a folder especially designed to work with a file unzipper like Zarchiver
You would place the roms in android/data/ru.zdevs.zarchiver/files
That folder is Zarchiver's data folder and an allowable space for it to manipulate and write to in storage.
Then you just move the now uncompressed .nds roms back to where you want them to be for your own organization.

Having files in their uncompressed form (the .nds rom) does reduce the work your phone has to do when reading information. Since it does not have to store the data in RAM (lowering the ammount of ram available) or copy an uncompressed copy to a place it can access it first. It is not a necessity though so if you can do it, you might want to think about it.

ShinyRogue

Re: Sound Cracking or Popping ?

Post by ShinyRogue » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:45 am

TkSilver wrote:
ShinyRogue wrote: Firstly I am using everything at default settings I did clean install 2 times . And tried with other settings but nothing changed . Because at the same time I am checking FPS in screen .

It seems clearly an issue about FPS .

About roms I put them there firstly as uncompressed but later realized emulator already uncompressing them before play , I put them as zipped because if we extract that temporary unzipped file that will easiest fix probably for that problem . But no luck because program still extracting them to the SD card .
As I have all Pokemon games I didn't try Black 1 (It's around 256 MB) but I tried HeartGold and SoulSilver for a while those roms are 128 MB , before I got UHS-1 card those roms have same problem but after got it those games seems fixed , I mean smaller games . But Black White 2 is biggest pokemon game and it's 512 MB really huge rom . If I don't use adoptable storage feature of 6.0's already no way to unzip it .
We can do a few tricks to help performance and test if that keeps your fps closer to 100%/100% and hopefully with an audio tweek that will fix it.

Go into the options and go into video options first.
make sure high resolution rendering is off (for now)
lets just for testing turn off the filter if one is on (this should not make a difference but it won't hurt to turn it off)
Turn on Multi-threaded rendering and restart DraStic (although with the latest updates you should not have to reset it won't hurt to do it.)-- this option will give you more performance by using more of your phones processing power but in some games (luckily for you Pokemon is not usually one) it can cause problems.

You can test right here if you want and see if this fixes things for you, but for best chances you might want to also go into audio settings and turn audio latency to high or very high since the very slight input lag it can sometimes cause is not a major issue for the way Pokemon is played (though on timing based games like elite beat agents it can be a problem).

Also about adoptable storage. You can use roms stored on non adopted sd card storage while drastic is in internal storage. Your roms would be on the external storage and internal storage would only hold ingame saves and savestates (plus extra filters or skins if your into those). But if you need the adoptable storage for other programs I understand. 8 GB on a phone can be rough espically when only a little under 4 GB is left usable.

The other option is to use a computer to unzip the roms and then transfer the .nds roms back on to the device. Or you could place the roms in a folder especially designed to work with a file unzipper like Zarchiver
You would place the roms in android/data/ru.zdevs.zarchiver/files
That folder is Zarchiver's data folder and an allowable space for it to manipulate and write to in storage.
Then you just move the now uncompressed .nds roms back to where you want them to be for your own organization.

Having files in their uncompressed form (the .nds rom) does reduce the work your phone has to do when reading information. Since it does not have to store the data in RAM (lowering the ammount of ram available) or copy an uncompressed copy to a place it can access it first. It is not a necessity though so if you can do it, you might want to think about it.
Those settings didn't make any difference .

I tried to unzip it to that place you said , but android/data/ru.zdevs.zarchiver/files this path doesn't seems on internal storage . It seems it's on SD card too . android/data/ is on merged with SD card too . Do you know any other place that I can write and stored on internal memory ?

With my phone it's even more worse because system already tooks nearly 6 GB space :S Even I first time opened the package there is 2.5 space for installing apps .