Pokemon Black in-game saves keeps getting corrupted

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
WarrFork
Pokemon Black in-game saves keeps getting corrupted

Post by WarrFork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:58 pm

I've read the FAQ, Google and all and still couldn't figure out what is going on.

I had made both a savestate and in-game save and when I wanted to play again, the game deleted the in-game save saying it was corrupted. So I loaded my savestate and made a freshly new in-game save but I keep getting the same corrupted message when I restart the app.

I am using the latest version of drastic and do have the option on that saves in-game saves into the savestates.

Exophase

Re: Pokemon Black in-game saves keeps getting corrupted

Post by Exophase » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Are you using your phone's time for the DS's clock? If so, have you done anything to change the time?

WarrFork

Post by WarrFork » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Exophase wrote:Are you using your phone's time for the DS's clock? If so, have you done anything to change the time?
It was doing that when I had not touched the clock settings at all at first, and afterward i've tried with my system clock, but no changes.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 pm

Could you upload the savestate please?

WarrFork

Post by WarrFork » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 am

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:56 am

I think there is a problem with the time in the savestate because the time of the state is 01:59:09 March 4 2016, while the game thinks the time is 02:47 and the last save was at 02:44. But I don't know for sure if this is inconsistent. Did you change the time in the game itself? Or did you have any kind of cheats enabled?

For some reason Nintendo made the later DS Pokemon games really stingy about save consistency and if they see things like this they freak out and consider the saves corrupt, and I think somehow that sticks with the save when you try to make a new one. I don't know how exactly this happened in the first place, unless you were synced with phone time and changing it while the game was running. I tried manually modifying the time on the savestate load but I can't get it to make a save it's happy with, I just don't think it's possible with that savestate, at least not without a ROM hack. Sadly this issue with Pokemon plagues all emulators, flash carts, and sometimes even the original cartridges running on original hardware.

It may be possible to make a new working save using Pokesav and carefully importing things from your old one, but you're only 45 minutes in, right? Probably not worth it (vs erasing what you have and starting over)

WarrFork

Post by WarrFork » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:35 am

Yeah it's not really too bad to lose this save. I just wanted to know what caused it as I don't want to restart and simply face this again. In which way to do you recommend playing? Using my system's time? Only in-game saves?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Normally I recommend using in-game saves as primary saves and savestates as less committed temporary measures.. but I don't really know what happened here and I'd be nervous about savestates hurting you later. You're probably safest avoiding them, although it could be a good idea to periodically back up your saves.

After some trial and error around I actually was able to get a working save out of your game though. Here's what I did:

1) Turned off the backup in savestate option
2) Loaded your savestate and made a new one with no backup embedded
3) Deleted the existing backup file
4) Restarted the emulator and started a new game
5) Made an in-game save early in the game
6) Loaded the savestate and made an in-game save from there
7) Restarted the game and loaded the in-game save, which correctly matched the one made from the savestate

You can repeat these steps yourself if you want, or you can use the backup file which I've attached.

But I can't promise that this will always work, so be careful.
Attachments
ypkevl.dsv
(512.12KiB)Downloaded 785 times

WarrFork

Post by WarrFork » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:46 am

I don't really have an issue about not using savestates, as long in-game saves stays healthy. I guess i'll play that way, thanks for the help. :)

Victor91

Post by Victor91 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Exophase wrote:Normally I recommend using in-game saves as primary saves and savestates as less committed temporary measures.. but I don't really know what happened here and I'd be nervous about savestates hurting you later. You're probably safest avoiding them, although it could be a good idea to periodically back up your saves.

After some trial and error around I actually was able to get a working save out of your game though. Here's what I did:

1) Turned off the backup in savestate option
2) Loaded your savestate and made a new one with no backup embedded
3) Deleted the existing backup file
4) Restarted the emulator and started a new game
5) Made an in-game save early in the game
6) Loaded the savestate and made an in-game save from there
7) Restarted the game and loaded the in-game save, which correctly matched the one made from the savestate

You can repeat these steps yourself if you want, or you can use the backup file which I've attached.

But I can't promise that this will always work, so be careful.

Hi, I have the same problem with my corrupted save file, but i have spend more than 25 hours in my pokemon blaze black 2, so could you help me plis? doing the same process with my savestate? Because i dont know where is the backup in savestate option of my drastic, I couldn't repeat these steps because I dont understand . I had made too both a savestate and in-game save and when I wanted to play again, the game deleted the in-game save saying that the save data file will be erased due a corrupted or damage. So I loaded my savestate and made a freshly new in-game save but I keep getting the same corrupted message when I restart the app.
I'll leave here my savestate and my savefile , so could you help me plis?