Compatability

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
huckleberrypie
Re: Compatability

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 am

Game Title: Disney's Tangled
Device: Lenovo A369i (Mediatek MT6572/512MB RAM)
DraStic version: 2.2.1.2 demo
Report: Both the European and US releases refuse to work. The former only displays a white screen upon starting. The US version works to an extent, i.e. with the Disney lobby/social club (albeit sans Wifi) but crashes the emu when you tap on the Start Game button. Not sure if this is due to a dud dump, encryption, anti-piracy or anything but I'll double check once I log on to my PC, as electricity got knocked offline when typhoon Glenda whirled by recently.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Game Title: Disney's Tangled
Report: Both the European and US releases refuse to work. The former only displays a white screen upon starting. The US version works to an extent, i.e. with the Disney lobby/social club (albeit sans Wifi) but crashes the emu when you tap on the Start Game button. Not sure if this is due to a dud dump, encryption, anti-piracy or anything but I'll double check once I log on to my PC, as electricity got knocked offline when typhoon Glenda whirled by recently.
Thanks, looking at it now. Got some leads.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am

Exophase wrote:
huckleberrypie wrote:Game Title: Disney's Tangled
Thanks, looking at it now. Got some leads.
Should've copied the crash logs as well, but as I couldn't log in to my rig due to the aforementioned storm it would take time before I do some further testing.

I was actually bored at the time when I tested the games, doing so out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of documenting things, most especially lesser-known or niche titles. Not everyone plays it, sure, but you'll never know, as what Byuu put it in his post about SNES accuracy, when he explained why emu authors shouldn't overlook other games in favour of Mario or Pokemon.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:16 am

I think he and exo got into an arguement once... iirc... and speakin of glenda... so you're from the philippines as well :D just got my net and electricity back.
Behold my mighty

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:22 am

Jay Haru wrote:I think he and exo got into an arguement once... iirc... and speakin of glenda... so you're from the philippines as well :D just got my net and electricity back.
Ahh. I do get Byuu's preservation rationale, but what I'm irked at is his insistence on game libraries rather than load ROMs the old fashioned (File > Load ROM... ) sort of approach.

And yeah, but I'm more of the jaded sort of Filipino who's fed up with the egocentric "Pinoy pride" mainstream. Power's still out in my area as of now, to which I'm also irked at to no end hence why I couldn't muck around and do DS tests.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:55 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Should've copied the crash logs as well, but as I couldn't log in to my rig due to the aforementioned storm it would take time before I do some further testing.

I was actually bored at the time when I tested the games, doing so out of sheer curiosity and for the sake of documenting things, most especially lesser-known or niche titles. Not everyone plays it, sure, but you'll never know, as what Byuu put it in his post about SNES accuracy, when he explained why emu authors shouldn't overlook other games in favour of Mario or Pokemon.
Well, if a game is broken I definitely want to try to figure out why and fix the problem. In this case it looks like it's something specific to the recompiler, meaning I should be able to narrow it down. I won't ignore a game problem based on its popularity, and besides that, for all anyone knows that same problem can be causing issues for other games that people don't yet know about.

But of course the emulator is never going to be accurate like bsnes/higan is, and I think it'll be a long time before any DS emulator is (if ever)

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 am

Exophase wrote:Well, if a game is broken I definitely want to try to figure out why and fix the problem. In this case it looks like it's something specific to the recompiler, meaning I should be able to narrow it down. I won't ignore a game problem based on its popularity, and besides that, for all anyone knows that same problem can be causing issues for other games that people don't yet know about.

But of course the emulator is never going to be accurate like bsnes/higan is, and I think it'll be a long time before any DS emulator is (if ever)
Which accounts to why Barbie Horse Adventures worked fully on the 360 as a side effect when Microsoft made tweaks to their compatibility mode for other games. :P

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 am

Found the issue with Tangled, will be fixed in the next beta/version.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:08 am

Exophase wrote:Found the issue with Tangled, will be fixed in the next beta/version.
Any explanation as to why, besides it having something to do with the recompiler?

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 am

huckleberrypie wrote:Any explanation as to why, besides it having something to do with the recompiler?
An instruction that puts the ARM9 to sleep wasn't being handled properly if the instruction is conditional and the conditionally doesn't execute.