Auto Hold Button Down?

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
choder
Auto Hold Button Down?

Post by choder » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Is there a setting out a way I can hold down the "b" button, and keep it held down automatically? For example I would like to keep the button always depressed in super Mario so that fast run is always on. I find it difficult to hold the fast run button and then press the jump button at the same time.

Thank you

Fefo

Re: Auto Hold Button Down?

Post by Fefo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Extra buttons, just like on PC emulators, would be great. Controller layout > add a turbo/hold button, etc..
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Having the button always pressed would probably cause more problems than it's worth, but an option to change the button press to a hold toggle could be useful.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Game-wise or emulation-wise? I can't see any problem.

A toogle-like special button function could do it. You wouldn't be capable of holding B and pressing other buttons normally, unless you gave it some kind of last press memory or something.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:31 pm

I've actually seen a function like this in Mupen 64 for Android.
You can set buttons that you want long-press enabled for, and then in-game, you hold down the button and it'll stay held down until you press it again. (You can also make this happen with a slide-off by selecting that in the settings menu.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Fefo wrote:Game-wise or emulation-wise? I can't see any problem.
I mean having an option to emulate a button as always held down can interfere with the game in places you wouldn't expect and may not ever actually register as a button press.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:12 am

Well, it the game behaves like that on real hardware then mission accomplished, 100% accurate. I can remember lots of games which "forget" that you are holding a button, and when that happened you just hold it again.

It's a shortcut, not a solution.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:10 am

Fefo wrote:Well, it the game behaves like that on real hardware then mission accomplished, 100% accurate. I can remember lots of games which "forget" that you are holding a button, and when that happened you just hold it again.

It's a shortcut, not a solution.
The point is, a toggle, or (long) press to hold, press again to release is more generally useful without being much more work for the user.

Fefo

Post by Fefo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:19 am

Should the code part be fine, a held button wouldn't work because the game says so. If someone doesn't understand this s/he doenst understand how emulation works, and that's another problem. If you are talking about confusion on whether a button is pressed or not, visual cues should do it.

Aside from that I might be not understanding your point.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

talos91

Post by talos91 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:54 pm

Any chance this gets added? Epsxe for android has a sticky button option that works great for racing games and controlling using only the tilt.