I can't load sims 3

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
brineymylaavs
I can't load sims 3

Post by brineymylaavs » Sat May 09, 2015 6:12 am

sims 3 is encrypted. how can I decrypt it? please help.. :(

TkSilver

Re: I can't load sims 3

Post by TkSilver » Sat May 09, 2015 3:32 pm

Here are the solutions to your issue

1. Change the program you use to dump your legally obtained DS games from your own DS to one that also decrypts them. (This is the solution I personally use)

2. Dump the bios files from your DS system.
Q: Does DraStic need BIOS files?
Not as of version 2.1.1a, which uses a custom BIOS. But you can still install them (to /sdcard/drastic/system) if you want and they'll be used. Note that in the system directory you can also find a zip containing information (and source code) for our custom BIOS. A Nintendo ARM7 BIOS is still necessary for loading encrypted ROMs. Please let us know if you have any problems with the custom BIOS so we can fix it.

If you use official DS BIOS files, they must have the following file names:
nds_bios_arm9.bin
nds_bios_arm7.bin
3. Decrypt the rom on a seprate device. Use google if you want to know more.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat May 09, 2015 5:13 pm

brineymylaavs wrote:sims 3 is encrypted. how can I decrypt it? please help.. :(
What's the file type (i.e. .nds, .zip, .7zip, .rar)?

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Sat May 09, 2015 6:01 pm

It's an encrypted NDS file from what I can attest. There's a Windows-based tool which you can use for decrypting such ROMs; I forgot the name but you can google for it.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat May 09, 2015 6:15 pm

huckleberrypie wrote:It's an encrypted NDS file from what I can attest. There's a Windows-based tool which you can use for decrypting such ROMs; I forgot the name but you can google for it.
It's 7-Zip File Manager. I usually use the B1 Free Archiver (http://online.b1.org/online), because it works in-browser and does basically the same thing.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

TkSilver

Post by TkSilver » Sat May 09, 2015 6:44 pm

ericbazinga wrote: It's 7-Zip File Manager. I usually use the B1 Free Archiver (http://online.b1.org/online), because it works in-browser and does basically the same thing.
Eric wrong type of encryption. The type of encryption here is basically a drm (digital rights managment) protection that ensures that a physical nintendo ds cart is being run on an official nintendo ds platform (ds, ds light, dsi, 3ds, ect...). Sometimes it is as simple as the case of the gba where I think it just loks for the boot up nintendo image to run the game. Or going to the ps1/ps2 disks that are created in very specific ways (bad sectors).

The NDS and to some extent the psp (psxonpsp only?) use decryption keys. Either general or specific to each individual device( 3ds, I believe). The NDS holds its keys in it's arm7 bios file and since that is a copyrighted piece of software it is not included with drastic. Exo (not lordus right) wrote a hle bios. HLE bios files emulate the bios of a system but do not contain all the same functionality, usually. That is why ps1 emulators need a real bios for better compatability and memory card managment and why drastic does not run encrypted roms from their hle bios. Simply put drastic does not natively know those encryption keys not to mention the fact thst they can not be added to the hle bios for the same reason a real bios is not included, decryption keys are copyrighted materials.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat May 09, 2015 7:11 pm

TkSilver wrote:
ericbazinga wrote: It's 7-Zip File Manager. I usually use the B1 Free Archiver (http://online.b1.org/online), because it works in-browser and does basically the same thing.
Eric wrong type of encryption. The type of encryption here is basically a drm (digital rights managment) protection that ensures that a physical nintendo ds cart is being run on an official nintendo ds platform (ds, ds light, dsi, 3ds, ect...). Sometimes it is as simple as the case of the gba where I think it just looks for the boot up nintendo image to run the game. Or going to the ps1/ps2 disks that are created in very specific ways (bad sectors).

The NDS and to some extent the psp (psxonpsp only?) use decryption keys. Either general or specific to each individual device( 3ds, I believe). The NDS holds its keys in it's arm7 bios file and since that is a copyrighted piece of software it is not included with drastic. Exo (not lordus right) wrote a hle bios. HLE bios files emulate the bios of a system but do not contain all the same functionality, usually. That is why ps1 emulators need a real bios for better compatability and memory card managment and why drastic does not run encrypted roms from their hle bios. Simply put drastic does not natively know those encryption keys not to mention the fact thst they can not be added to the hle bios for the same reason a real bios is not included, decryption keys are copyrighted materials.
So, Sims 3 doesn't have that boot-up logo and therefore won't run? If he ripped his own cart (what do you use to do that?) and it didn't work, then he should just download the ROM from an emulators site. If he already got the game from a ROM site and it didn't work, he should probably look into ripping his own cart. If neither work, then he's screwed.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat May 09, 2015 7:56 pm

ericbazinga wrote:So, Sims 3 doesn't have that boot-up logo and therefore won't run? If he ripped his own cart (what do you use to do that?) and it didn't work, then he should just download the ROM from an emulators site. If he already got the game from a ROM site and it didn't work, he should probably look into ripping his own cart. If neither work, then he's screwed.
You're really not supposed to be downloading roms, as it's illegal. People still do it, and there's really no way to stop them, but you should be dumping the games yourself. You need a flashcart to dump the roms, but they're not that expensive. Mine was only $20 if I remember correctly.

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Sat May 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Sean wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:So, Sims 3 doesn't have that boot-up logo and therefore won't run? If he ripped his own cart (what do you use to do that?) and it didn't work, then he should just download the ROM from an emulators site. If he already got the game from a ROM site and it didn't work, he should probably look into ripping his own cart. If neither work, then he's screwed.
You're really not supposed to be downloading roms, as it's illegal. People still do it, and there's really no way to stop them, but you should be dumping the games yourself. You need a flashcart to dump the roms, but they're not that expensive. Mine was only $20 if I remember correctly.
In my opinion, downloading a game from a ROM site IS legal, as long as you own an actual copy of the same game (and I do).

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat May 09, 2015 9:09 pm

ericbazinga wrote:In my opinion, downloading a game from a ROM site IS legal, as long as you own an actual copy of the same game (and I do).
It's not a matter of opinion. I don't want to get off-topic and start a huge discussion, but on the official Nintendo website (https://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp) it states:
There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
Anyways, let's get back on topic now.