compatible full-speed emulators to be developed in thefuture

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
tegra2man
compatible full-speed emulators to be developed in thefuture

Post by tegra2man » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:40 am

Will there be a full speed -nds emulator optimised for tegra 2 or other unsupported devices on DraStic in the future?
The reason why Im asking everyone about this issue is because I just want to play a few pokemon games on my acer Iconia Tab, which has tegra 2 graphics card.... also, I cannot afford to buy other devices....)

Queksilber

Re: compatible full-speed emulators to be developed in thefu

Post by Queksilber » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 am

Dude i know, new devices are mostly very expensive but you have to understand that Tegra 2 was released back in 2010. It's old, outdated and compared to new SoCs; slow.
Drastic doesn't support Tegra2-Devices because these are lacking the NEON-instruction. To get drastic working on this chip, exo and lordus would have to recode a huge amount of the source for drastic; to support some old devices, when most of the android users already have a newer one.
It is not worth it.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

Besides, there's lots of chinatab and phones with better soc than tegra 2 (but stay away from action semi soc). Its cheaper than branded ones too. Just be sure you get it from a local importer and do not import it directly(many tales of horrid products recieved).

I would say go with rockchip soc. Its great esp their 3188 quad a9 with mali gpu. I experience less compat errors with most gplay apps with it.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

Queksilber wrote:Dude i know, new devices are mostly very expensive but you have to understand that Tegra 2 was released back in 2010. It's old, outdated and compared to new SoCs; slow.
Drastic doesn't support Tegra2-Devices because these are lacking the NEON-instruction. To get drastic working on this chip, exo and lordus would have to recode a huge amount of the source for drastic; to support some old devices, when most of the android users already have a newer one.
It is not worth it.
We could release a version that supports it without that much effort, but it'd be very slow. Whether or not it'd be slower than nds4droid I couldn't really say, but it'd be slow to the point that I don't feel like it's worth your money.

It sucks but it can't really be helped. nVidia shouldn't have released a Cortex-A9 SoC in 2010 without NEON when Cortex-A8 and Scorpion SoCs had been using it since 2008. They clearly realized they were wrong since Tegra 3 added support, despite being on the same process as Tegra 2 and having twice as many CPU cores.