drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
xperia64
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:41 pm

drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby xperia64 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42 pm

I managed to set up the virtual filesystem entirely on my phone, so I thought I'd make a tutorial.

Prerequisites: root, busybox, a file explorer that can remount / and /system as rw, and terminal knowledge

  1. cd into the DraStic data folder and create a blank file with dd:

    Code: Select all

    dd if=/dev/zero of=drastic_dldi.img bs=1048576 count=128
    Replace 128 with how many MB you want your virtual filesystem to be.
  2. Create the filesystem with mkfs.vfat. If mkfs.vfat doesn't exist, try mkdosfs or update busybox

    Code: Select all

    mkfs.vfat ./drastic_dldi.img
  3. Create a block device to mount the image on (only needs to be done once per reboot)

    Code: Select all

    mknod /dev/block/loop250 b 7 250
    where 250 is an arbitrary unused device number
  4. Link the filesystem to the new block device

    Code: Select all

    losetup /dev/block/loop250 drastic_dldi.img
  5. Create a blank directory to mount the image on

    Code: Select all

    mkdir fatfolder
  6. And finally, mount the image

    Code: Select all

    mount -t vfat /dev/block/loop250 fatfolder
  7. Add data files or whatever you want to the image
  8. Unmount the image

    Code: Select all

    umount fatfolder

    Code: Select all

    losetup -d /dev/block/loop250
To add more files, repeat steps 4-8, or 3-8 after a reboot.


Mount instructions adapted from http://www.techpository.com/?page_id=1201
User avatar
Kyousuke753
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am
Location: ???

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Kyousuke753 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 am

What is the benefit to this tutorial?

I'm assuming it makes the emulator run faster? My device is rooted and has all the pre-requisites to follow the tutorial.

Feel free to correct me on coding as I don't know much about it.
Image
User avatar
JeaneMaggie
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:11 pm
Location: somewhere stalking ericbazinga on google+...

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby JeaneMaggie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 am

Kyousuke753 wrote:What is the benefit to this tutorial?

I'm assuming it makes the emulator run faster? My device is rooted and has all the pre-requisites to follow the tutorial.

Feel free to correct me on coding as I don't know much about it.


It's for homebrews that need dldi patching in order to work properly and other stuff like that. Like if you want to run a gb emu on drastic.
User avatar
Kyousuke753
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am
Location: ???

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Kyousuke753 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:58 am

JeaneMaggie wrote:
Kyousuke753 wrote:What is the benefit to this tutorial?

I'm assuming it makes the emulator run faster? My device is rooted and has all the pre-requisites to follow the tutorial.

Feel free to correct me on coding as I don't know much about it.


It's for homebrews that need dldi patching in order to work properly and other stuff like that. Like if you want to run a gb emu on drastic.


Hmm all this trouble just to run a GBA emu on DraStic...Lucky I didn't do the tutorial yet.
Image
Jay Haru
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:10 pm
Location: Pasig, Philippines

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Jay Haru » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:27 am

not a gba game but homebrew. think of it like the psp minis for the ds.
Behold my mighty
Image
User avatar
Kyousuke753
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am
Location: ???

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Kyousuke753 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:38 am

Ahh that explains it thanks Jay-chan <3 I got the gist of it...I was about to follow the tutorial but I was afraid of mucking up and wrecking my smartphone but that is actually cool a universal emulator.
Last edited by Kyousuke753 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Exophase
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Exophase » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:42 am

It'd be nice to have some other utility that creates dldi_image files for use with homebrew. I'd add this (and auto-patching the DLDI functions for R4 cards) to DraStic itself but there doesn't seem to be very much demand.
User avatar
Kyousuke753
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am
Location: ???

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Kyousuke753 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:00 am

Exophase wrote:It'd be nice to have some other utility that creates dldi_image files for use with homebrew. I'd add this (and auto-patching the DLDI functions for R4 cards) to DraStic itself but there doesn't seem to be very much demand.


Does this mean DraStic is going to become a Universal emulator Exo-chan? if so is it only going to emulate GBA roms?
Last edited by Kyousuke753 on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Exophase
Posts: 1680
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Exophase » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:02 am

Kyousuke753 wrote:Does this mean DraStic is going to become a Universal emulator Exo-chan?


No, and what's a universal emulator? Something that emulates everything? :o
User avatar
Kyousuke753
Posts: 846
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:30 am
Location: ???

Re: drastic_dldi.img Setup on device [ROOT ONLY]

Postby Kyousuke753 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 am

I've PM'd you Exo-chan please read it regarding this "Universal Emulator".
Image

Return to “Help and Compatibility”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests