Sound / audio latency & static

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
jknut
Sound / audio latency & static

Post by jknut » Fri May 16, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm getting static noise when I play Radiant Historia especially when it's raining. Setting it to Very High latency helps... but is there anything else that I can do?

Desmume has "synchronous" audio mode which is perfect. Is there something similar for DraStic?
http://forums.desmume.org/viewtopic.php?id=3233

Exophase

Re: Sound / audio latency & static

Post by Exophase » Fri May 16, 2014 4:00 pm

The synchronous setting in DeSmuME isn't related to this, the audio normally works like that here (sort of anyway).

Some devices just have a lot of audio lag and only work with higher latency settings, which is why the option is there. It can be big problem with Android. Are you using a Bluetooth headset or some other kind of external audio? That can add more latency.

jknut

Post by jknut » Mon May 19, 2014 4:16 pm

The static will happen at either low or medium latency on phone speaker or bluetooth on my Galaxy S4.

Is there anything else (phone settings, ROM trimming, DraStic options, etc) that I can try to get better audio quality?

Or can the audio in the NDS file be edited in some way to help?

Tallpr2r

Post by Tallpr2r » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi guys,

Just purchased this great emulator but there is a terrible sound lag on all games. I'm running this on Samsung galaxy s9 plus. Any ideas??

Nexus1999

Post by Nexus1999 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:39 am

Some OEMs, especially carriers, ship their devices with heavy custom roms. Disable safe to disable bloatware apps from your device. You maybe able to find a complete list for your device over at XDA android hacking & development.

Turn off keep wi-fi on during sleep, location's wi-fi & bluetooth scanning during sleep, & scanning for printers. When uneeded turn off location, bluetooth, & mobile hotspot.

You're welcome to activate developer options. By going into settings, all the way at the bottom enter about phone, then bottom again & tap build number 7 times or until the toast message confirms them activated. Then back out of about phone. You should see developer options have been added to your settings menus. Enter it, then enable it. Set logger buffer sizes to the smallest amount available. Off if you can. Turn on force gpu rendering. Optional: turn on disable hardware overlays. Disable hw overlays will have to be set on again if the device is turned off or restarted. Don't mess with anything else in there unless you're absolutely sure of what you're doing.

Optional: Turn off battery saver mode & set brightness to 50% instead if you want to save battery without decreasing performance. Make use of device performance toggle's like Game Mode. Set Game Tuner fps to max, try the lowest resolution. Other devices will have something similar like Game Battery Saver. Which will work even with Battery Saver mode turned off. Close apps running in the backround to free up ram for heavier use like gaming.

Bluetooth has higher latency than wired. Change options in audio set DraStic's audio latency to very high. Optional: In general turn off enable lua. In advanced enable auto trim rom & use low-res ui textures. Optional: In video enable multi-threaded 3d rendering & set frameskip to manual at 0, or auto at 1 or more. If none of that works, try 16-bit rendering, disable edge marking, & set frameskip to manual at 1 or more.

Restarting your device can free up fragmented memory. Android devices compute in ARM's big.LITTLE core cpu architecture. Big cpu cores shut down at low battery % & the little ones take on more of the workload. Gaming during charging becomes bottlenecked from overheating & cpu throttling safety measures.

SoulFlames

Post by SoulFlames » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Tallpr2r wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Hi guys,

Just purchased this great emulator but there is a terrible sound lag on all games. I'm running this on Samsung galaxy s9 plus. Any ideas??

Hello everybody! I haven't read the real problem about the audio distortion and the quick fix. (Maybe i misread the easy fix but here one in short) if you have audio distortion, it has to do with your frame rate/refresh rate(look at my frame rate screenshot) i use a razer phone and i always use 90/120hz frame rate, but i always thought the drastic emulator was just still too slow.

But i wasnt thinking straight about that, because those ds games are NOT made for anything above 40/ 60hz(even less) so there is the solution. If you have a gamebooster app or anything that has frame rate settings, put it on its highest, then back to 40 or 30(if you have that option because mine is 40 at lowest)

phones not having framerate options have a standard of 50/60 or 120hz(if its a gaming phone or just a hight end machine) so there for too high for the emulator which runs lower frame rate games(the audio is made for those low frame rates, hence the distortion)

So, anyone having audio distortion/ static noise, you all having a phone run a too high frame rate for the ds games. The Drastic Emulator runs perfect without flaws for the last 73 games i played on this App! The first around 60 games i played with static noise, but now since i know the framerate is the REAL problem for the static noise/distortion i play games like i am playing on a real DS, but much better quality! I loved the Drastic Emulator ever since i bought it on the appstore.
40hz is still too high but for me it works. Now and the the static comes a bit when played a game(not in the emulator) on higher hz, so change the framerate to the highest back to the lowest and you're settled.
So y'all change your frame rate IF you have such option and pooof static gone!