DraStic Restart on Galaxy S3

Ask questions about DraStic or discuss compatibility issues here.
jb49ers80
DraStic Restart on Galaxy S3

Post by jb49ers80 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 pm

I have been re-living my childhood by playing FF4 on Drastic and loving it. About 4 hours in and not having any problems. Then all of a sudden Drastic starts re-starting in the middle of play. When it first happened, I went into the Drastic settings and turned off / set to low everything that I thought my be hurting performance (Turned off frameskip, set filter to none, turned on 16 bit rendering, turned off music, and turned off cheats). Initially, this seemed to work. I was able to play for a good 30-45 minutes without issue. Then it started happening again, and it's at the point now where it will re-start during the first battle I encounter.

The game is basically un-playable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Exophase

Re: DraStic Restart on Galaxy S3

Post by Exophase » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:21 am

Are you using the latest version (2.2.1.0a) bought from the Play store? The last version had a regression causing crashes in FF4, so I want to make sure it's not related.

Also, are you starting from a savestate, or does it also happen when you start the game fresh and load from an in-game save? If you have a case where it's reproduceable every time from loading an in-game save and we can cause it on our end we can find out why it's happening.

jb49ers80

Post by jb49ers80 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:33 am

It is the latest version bought from the play store. I normally just use the continue option from the DraStic main menu, but i will try to explicitly load from my last savestate and let you know.

Edit - Sorry, I just re-read your post. I haven't been using in game saves to this point. Only savestates. I will try to get to a point where I can perform an in game save and then load from that.

jb49ers80

Post by jb49ers80 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 am

So, interestingly, once I performed an in-game save, the problem seemed to go away. Is there a limit or recommendation on how I should use savestates? Do they get corrupted or something? Thank you for the help.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:53 am

jb49ers80 wrote:So, interestingly, once I performed an in-game save, the problem seemed to go away. Is there a limit or recommendation on how I should use savestates? Do they get corrupted or something? Thank you for the help.
Well, states seem to have the ability to catch unwanted bugs so the tip is use both unless its pokemon where its better to use ingame exclusively.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05 pm

In this case you could have captured something like a cheat that was breaking it somehow. Once a cheat is applied to a savestate it's usually there forever because the modification it performs has already happened.

jb49ers80

Post by jb49ers80 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Exophase wrote:In this case you could have captured something like a cheat that was breaking it somehow. Once a cheat is applied to a savestate it's usually there forever because the modification it performs has already happened.
Thanks, but I haven't applied any cheats. It seems that if I load from savestates, I get these restarts problems. If I just use the in-game saves, I haven't had the problem.

dartsiniz

Post by dartsiniz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm experiencing the same problem in FFiv using the latest DraStic version (2.2.1.0a) bought from the Play store. Real saves didn't solve it for me. Starting a new game I found the first crash in battle in Mist cave 10 min into the game using no cheats or savestates.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:46 pm

dartsiniz wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem in FFiv using the latest DraStic version (2.2.1.0a) bought from the Play store. Real saves didn't solve it for me. Starting a new game I found the first crash in battle in Mist cave 10 min into the game using no cheats or savestates.
So if you load an in-game save from right outside the cave, it happens every time on the first battle afterwards? If so, can you upload this save, and tell us what device you're using?

dartsiniz

Post by dartsiniz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:53 am

Exophase wrote:
dartsiniz wrote:I'm experiencing the same problem in FFiv using the latest DraStic version (2.2.1.0a) bought from the Play store. Real saves didn't solve it for me. Starting a new game I found the first crash in battle in Mist cave 10 min into the game using no cheats or savestates.
So if you load an in-game save from right outside the cave, it happens every time on the first battle afterwards? If so, can you upload this save, and tell us what device you're using?
No, it happens intermittently, I'll keep playing the new save and get back here if it start again.