Sorry, have found a Chinese Drastic Clone on Play Store

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
tomkatt
Re: Sorry, have found a Chinese Drastic Clone on Play Store

Post by tomkatt » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Jay Haru wrote:not saying youre ripping one off. but yeah, VickVick did pirate Robert Brony's .emu apps. although your arguement isnt convincing seeing as ppsspp and myboy cam from thesame source and the .emus didnt. im not into brony emus but i think he coded it himself so any fork of it without his consent is illegal. its not like the numerous free and paid version of the desmume port for android where they violate the gpl for asking money for something that is basically crap (compared to lets say, drastic) on mobiles.

in any case, it may sound rude but i say what i think in a rather laconic/sarcastc fashion. just get used to it and well beth be fine ;)
No offense taken. You make a good product. In the grand scheme of things that's all I care about honestly. :D

Regarding the emulators, when I first got my tablet in September I went nuts and all "DOWNLOAD ALL THE EMULATORS!" I Downloaded many free ones, most of them sucked, and I just kept the ones that worked well for me, didn't bother to look at who developed them until later, and seriously compared them today. I just went with what worked, and bought the ones I really liked and know I'll use (ePSXe, DraStic, and SNES9x EX+, though the last one there's free).

I'm just gonna delete MD.emu free and NES.emu free. Given all the drama and uncertainty of ownership, I don't think I'll go with Robert's stuff for now, but maybe I'll download Retroarch for the time being. I'm not personally a fan of the dev (Squarepusher) as a person for discourse, but like you guys, I know his software is legit, and he's got arrangements with the devs of all the cores Retroarch uses.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 am

tomkatt wrote:
Jay Haru wrote:not saying youre ripping one off. but yeah, VickVick did pirate Robert Brony's .emu apps. although your arguement isnt convincing seeing as ppsspp and myboy cam from thesame source and the .emus didnt. im not into brony emus but i think he coded it himself so any fork of it without his consent is illegal. its not like the numerous free and paid version of the desmume port for android where they violate the gpl for asking money for something that is basically crap (compared to lets say, drastic) on mobiles.

in any case, it may sound rude but i say what i think in a rather laconic/sarcastc fashion. just get used to it and well beth be fine ;)
No offense taken. You make a good product. In the grand scheme of things that's all I care about honestly. :D

Regarding the emulators, when I first got my tablet in September I went nuts and all "DOWNLOAD ALL THE EMULATORS!" I Downloaded many free ones, most of them sucked, and I just kept the ones that worked well for me, didn't bother to look at who developed them until later, and seriously compared them today. I just went with what worked, and bought the ones I really liked and know I'll use (ePSXe, DraStic, and SNES9x EX+, though the last one there's free).

I'm just gonna delete MD.emu free and NES.emu free. Given all the drama and uncertainty of ownership, I don't think I'll go with Robert's stuff for now, but maybe I'll download Retroarch for the time being. I'm not personally a fan of the dev (Squarepusher) as a person for discourse, but like you guys, I know his software is legit, and he's got arrangements with the devs of all the cores Retroarch uses.
hey, im just a user like you. i dont do anything special just test stuff for the devs (Lordus and Exophase) and moderate this forums so dont thank me.

i know the feeling man, i used to cry for free stuff but then i graduated in IT which made me look at piracy on both ends.

i am actually not fond of retroarch after some info that i got from the devs (might be biased but then again, i work for them).
Behold my mighty

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm

i am actually not fond of retroarch after some info that i got from the devs (might be biased but then again, i work for them).
Do you mind sharing that info? I understand if you can't.

I'm personally not fond of retroarch, and have found it to be buggy on Android (though the Sega emulator is great, and NES should be easy to emulate either way). Also, Squarepusher is... well, Squarepusher. As far as I know though, Retroarch isn't stealing from anyone and has rights for all the emulators in it. Better the devil I know than the potentially stolen software I don't.

I don't like that the emulation community is so confusing and full of drama at times. I mean, with so many illegitimate emulators on the play store, you would think people would just issue takedown notices/requests and get them removed if they can simply prove the person selling doesn't own it. Instead, we're left with confusion. Last night after I posted I was also looking at Nostalgia.NES, which is based on FCEUX. It looks good, but again, I'm not sure about downloading it because I don't know if the person posting it actually is allowed. Which is more confusing because it's based on FCEUX, like Robert's emulator, and I thought FCEUX was free and open source, but maybe that only applies to PC. It's all kind of a mess.

I like free emulators, but when given the opportunity to support the actual devs I don't mind paying at all. It's just hard to figure out in some cases who you're paying, and if they deserve it or just ripped off someone else.

I guess that's the main reason why I just bought DraStic and ePSXe at the first chance I got. I know who owns it, what it's about, and have no problems supporting an emu that was coded from the ground up for Android and runs great, and another that I've used for years on the PC and enjoyed, and have no question of who's getting my money. People complain about closed source emulators, but there's something to be said for knowing who makes it, knowing it's getting ongoing support and won't be abandoned, and knowing where your money's going.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Quick overview from my point of view:

- The .emu emulators are ports of mostly GPLed emulators with the source in a common repository. It's legal to sell GPLed programs, it's also legal for someone else to sell them as well so long as everyone follows the terms of the GPL (mainly, makes the source available). So if VickVick took Robert's source and recompiled them he's free to sell them too, or give them away for free or whatever.
- The .emu emulators that aren't GPL are either not being sold (SNES9x, because it's under a non-commercial license) or are able to be sold anyway. In the case of GenesisPlus, the developers changed the license to a non-commercial one, but Robert is basically not updating to those new versions. That's legal, but some view it as not a very good thing to do.
- Retroarch uses the same emulators but they're doing all the work totally for free (they don't even accept donations outside of test hardware) and it has some pretty interesting/novel things in it, I definitely recommend trying it at least. The lead developer is not fond of us, to put it mildly.

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Wow, thanks for the reply, Exophase. I appreciate the clarification.

Good to know the emulators, whichever I use will be in good standing so long as they don't violate GPL. The V Android ones seem questionable, but I can confirm Vick Vick did provide the source code and public repository for the fork, it just appears it's not being updated. Either way, I'm not sure what to go with at this point, but I'll give it thought and make sure whichever ones I use are cool with the GPL rules on whatever source it's from. I suppose as long as that's the case, there's nothing to worry about.

As for the Retroarch thing, duh, I didn't even think about it, and if I had I'd know the issue. Squarepusher is vehemently against closed source and profiting from emulation, two things DraStic has going for it. So I get where the beef comes from, though I don't agree. Thanks for the great emulator, I'm enjoying the heck out of it since the top screen on my actual DS Lite went on the fritz.