Original Nintendo BIOS vs. Custom BIOS

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Amici
Original Nintendo BIOS vs. Custom BIOS

Post by Amici » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:40 am

Any difference between the two? The time I bought Drastic it already had a built-in custom BIOS, so I never experienced looking for the real BIOS. Just recently learned about that previous requirement.

I'd like to know if it's worth my time to dump my NDS lite BIOS for this.

Fantastic emulator by the way, will buy it even at double, triple its actual price.

Jay Haru

Re: Original Nintendo BIOS vs. Custom BIOS

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 am

Amici wrote:Any difference between the two? The time I bought Drastic it already had a built-in custom BIOS, so I never experienced looking for the real BIOS. Just recently learned about that previous requirement.

I'd like to know if it's worth my time to dump my NDS lite BIOS for this.

Fantastic emulator by the way, will buy it even at double, triple its actual price.
Its on the faqs. Basically, some encrypted games need the original.
Behold my mighty

Amici

Post by Amici » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:19 am

I did check the FAQ already, but there was no discussion or mention there that they're basically the same (except for the encrypted ROMs part). I didn't see it mentioned there that there is virtually no difference from the two. Is compatibility and emulation accuracy affected? Since I have both, which do you guys suggest I use?

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:26 am

Amici wrote:I did check the FAQ already, but there was no discussion or mention there that they're basically the same (except for the encrypted ROMs part). I didn't see it mentioned there that there is virtually no difference from the two. Is compatibility and emulation accuracy affected? Since I have both, which do you guys suggest I use?
The only reason is as I said, encrypted roms. Other than that, same banana.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:24 am

Amici wrote:I did check the FAQ already, but there was no discussion or mention there that they're basically the same (except for the encrypted ROMs part). I didn't see it mentioned there that there is virtually no difference from the two. Is compatibility and emulation accuracy affected? Since I have both, which do you guys suggest I use?
It's impossible to really say for sure, we could only test so much on that replcaement BIOS (and it was pretty rushed out the door, coded it in 2-3 days). I don't know of any problems with it yet though.

mucus

Post by mucus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 pm

i still keep my nds bios files around, never know if you're gonna need 'em.

ricky006

Post by ricky006 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:57 pm

when i updated to the version which had the custom bios , out of the 10 or so roms (games) i played there was 1 game which would not work , so i swapped my original bios back in there and it worked , and all the other games i have tried since, have worked as well , so i am keeping with the original Bios.

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:27 pm

ricky006 wrote:when i updated to the version which had the custom bios , out of the 10 or so roms (games) i played there was 1 game which would not work , so i swapped my original bios back in there and it worked , and all the other games i have tried since, have worked as well , so i am keeping with the original Bios.
What game?

ZMS

Post by ZMS » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:39 am

Original 512KB Chinese BIOS and Korean BIOS can't work on DraStic. (But they can work on the newest version of DeSmuME and NO$GBA)
Chinese DS games and Korean DS games can also be played on the 256KB Japanese/American/European "normal" BIOS, so it doesn't matter.(Chinese games need a patch to be played on J/U/E "normal" BIOS)
Sorry for my poor English.
-------
Device: iPhone 4S (I am still waiting for the iOS version of DraStic...)