Will there be any further optimization of Intel in the future?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
tomkatt
Will there be any further optimization of Intel in the future?

Post by tomkatt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Just curious. I have an Intel Atom tablet currently, 1.83 GHz. Unfortunately, it seems to run closer to the equivalent of a 1.2 GHz ARM chip in Drastic. I know Intel is only sort of supported and has extra overhead or whatever, but was wondering if there's room for improvement possible there or if what will be will be.

Alternately, are there any settings I can adjust in the app for better performance on Intel Atom?

===================

Edit - Okay, searching the forums here for tips, I found the "sleep in rendering thread" option. Disabling it is giving me a bit more stable performance. If nothing else, the music isn't skipping and stuttering in Custom Robo Arena now, and Tiger Woods 08 seems more smooth overall. I'll test more to be sure.

Exophase

Re: Will there be any further optimization of Intel in the future?

Post by Exophase » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 pm

It's possible that it'll have x86-64 support eventually (Google is going to require it if x86 is supported at all), and it's possible if it does it'll be slightly faster than current. That's about it I'm afraid.

tomkatt

Re: Will there be any further optimization of Intel in the future?

Post by tomkatt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Exophase wrote:It's possible that it'll have x86-64 support eventually (Google is going to require it if x86 is supported at all), and it's possible if it does it'll be slightly faster than current. That's about it I'm afraid.
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. This tablet (Asus Zenpad s8.0) won't be my primary device at some point in the future, but it's what I'm working with for now since I bricked my Shield tablet. It's a great tablet for reading with the 2k screen and good enough for native gaming in most cases, but it's been rather underperforming for emulation.

I refuse to spend over $300 on an Android tablet, and I'd prefer something decent in the $200 to $250 range. Waiting to see if the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 makes a US debut. I'd buy it on Gearbest or BangGood but if there's an issue, shipping and returns from US to China will be a nightmare compared to buying on Newegg or Amazon.