Open Source Drastic
95%
Let DraStic fade away
5%

Total votes: 63

blackshot
Drastic's Future

Post by blackshot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Drastic is still the best app in the play store for DS emulation in my eyes. However, it seems the development and popularity of drastic and ds emulation as a whole has stopped all but for reman enthusiasts of the original. I mean, there are only twenty three people online here as I post this, and at least two are bots. :roll:

I don't have a lot of sway with even you people, but I think it's time to open source the app and get those last few great additions drastic deserves, like a basic server system for multi-player, skins, and save file conversions. Maybe even port it to other systems and give RetroArch a drastic core.

I wanted to ask if there's any development on this front and where you all are, if so, with progress.

Jay Haru

Re: Drastic's Future

Post by Jay Haru » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:03 pm

blackshot wrote:Drastic is still the best app in the play store for DS emulation in my eyes. However, it seems the development and popularity of drastic and ds emulation as a whole has stopped all but for reman enthusiasts of the original. I mean, there are only twenty three people online here as I post this, and at least two are bots. :roll:

I don't have a lot of sway with even you people, but I think it's time to open source the app and get those last few great additions drastic deserves, like a basic server system for multi-player, skins, and save file conversions. Maybe even port it to other systems and give RetroArch a drastic core.

I wanted to ask if there's any development on this front and where you all are, if so, with progress.
I am not one point out but open sourcing the app does not necessarily mean you can get what you wanted. It just means exo would no longer invest on the app and would let another dev fork it.

Also, thank god the app isnt really that popular. just think of how much work I need to do erasing ads and hammering trolls coming to the website.
Behold my mighty

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 am

Jay Haru wrote:I am not one point out but open sourcing the app does not necessarily mean you can get what you wanted. It just means exo would no longer invest on the app and would let another dev fork it.

Also, thank god the app isnt really that popular. just think of how much work I need to do erasing ads and hammering trolls coming to the website.
Drastic is instead really popular (at least in my country), but I didn't see anyone interested in supporting it and buying it. In fact seems like im the only italian here...
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:10 am

Jay Haru wrote:I am not one point out but open sourcing the app does not necessarily mean you can get what you wanted. It just means exo would no longer invest on the app and would let another dev fork it.

Security through obscurity, so to speak.

And yes, open-sourcing isn't necessarily a magic bullet or a cure-all either. But I am interested in seeing Drastic going by that direction as well so why not?

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:18 am

I don't know what you think, but i think open-sourcing it is gonna be a great idea.
OBJECTION!

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm open to open-sourcing the emulator, as it would bring plenty of new features and new ideas, but whether or not to open-source it is ultimately Exophase's decision.
SSUPII wrote:Drastic is instead really popular (at least in my country), but I didn't see anyone interested in supporting it and buying it. In fact seems like im the only italian here...
Not technically. I'm of Italian descent, but I've been born and raised all my life in America and have never left the country. My family doesn't celebrate our heritage at all (mainly because our heritage involves our ancestors pissing off some powerful Italian authority, causing them to flee to America in fear and change their last names), so I don't really act Italian.

EDIT: Actually, turns out I was kinda wrong. Apparently my ancestors were part of an italian mafia and wanted out.
Last edited by ericbazinga on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

Platybus

Post by Platybus » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:52 pm

I didn't really care about its state, but then I saw that the last Play Store update was released on July 19th, 2016. Just like everyone else, I say yes to open-sourcing. :D

kaikun97

Post by kaikun97 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 am

Open sourcing it is a double edged sword, on one hand you get devs making legitimate changes with active updates and having the changes possibly merged with the official version and on the other hand you have script kiddies adding AdMob libraries to it and then putting 10 differently named copies on the Play Store solely for the Ad revenue.

I do unfortunately think this would suffer the same fate as nds4droid in that sense where the play store becomes so heavily swamped with them, not everyone knows the original ad-free version if they didn't see it first.

dsattorney

Post by dsattorney » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Luckily, DraStic is well known, so it will be easy to differenciate the real app from a knock-off.
OBJECTION!

SSUPII

Post by SSUPII » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm

dsattorney wrote:Luckily, DraStic is well known, so it will be easy to differenciate the real app from a knock-off.
Not always. For example MX Player is really popular but A LOT of people still downloads ripoffs with the same name thinging that it is the real one.
TETRIS FRIENDS IS DEAD
Spoiler!
Here is a good boy!
ImageImage
Spoiler!
Another good boy!ImageImage