Drastic on the Nintendo Switch?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
PatchAdams
Drastic on the Nintendo Switch?

Post by PatchAdams » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 pm

@exophase Would you consider porting you Drastic Emulator to the Switch?
The Switch is slowly starting to pick up the pace when it come to Emulators running on it. So far there are basic Retroarch Cores running but soon hopefully more. :)
Seeing Drastic running on the Raspberry Pi2/3 it would be really nice to have it running on the Switch too :)

Thanks.

#Shake

Re: Drastic on the Nintendo Switch?

Post by #Shake » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

That would be awesome

huckleberrypie

Post by huckleberrypie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Considering the Switch is essentially a glorified Tegra X1 tablet with Mario on it, I don't see why it wouldn't run Drastic. The issue here I think is with distribution.

emulatorLowdown

Post by emulatorLowdown » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm

This would be awesome, I really hope to see Drastic on the Switch.

We have Yuzu so I can't see why not.
JEROME
BLOGGER

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Well, obviously the Switch would need to be hacked before a homebrew port of DraStic could be developed. Thankfully, this has already been accomplished: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/ ... n-console/
However, the hack isn't available to the public, not to mention the homebrew community on the Switch is tiny. Sure, we have some emulators running, but we don't have a standardized program launcher (a la Homebrew Channel) or a hack that doesn't involve either keeping your Switch on firmware version 3.0.0 or hacking apart a JoyCon. Fail0verflow's future-proof Switch hack is ingenious to say the least, but it's also too complicated for your average Joe. For example, hacking the Wii was super easy, as all you needed was some files on an SD card and a compatible game.
My point is, maybe we should wait until the Switch homebrew community becomes larger.

As for coding the port, the only way I know you could start coding a Switch game (other than building it within a commercial engine such as Unity or Unreal) would be by using Yuzu (https://yuzu-emu.org/), an experimental Switch emulator. However, Yuzu is well in its infancy, and can't run most commercial Switch games. (It can boot some, but can't render any actual 3D graphics just yet.) If you used Yuzu to develop DraStic, it would be massively under-powered and probably wouldn't be able to boot much. And you'd be coding an emulator within an already incomplete emulator, so if something went wrong, you wouldn't be able to tell if the issue is with DraStic or Yuzu.

Long story short, we should probably wait.

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

PatchAdams

Post by PatchAdams » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:58 am

ericbazinga wrote:Well, obviously the Switch would need to be hacked before a homebrew port of DraStic could be developed. Thankfully, this has already been accomplished: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/ ... n-console/
However, the hack isn't available to the public, not to mention the homebrew community on the Switch is tiny. Sure, we have some emulators running, but we don't have a standardized program launcher (a la Homebrew Channel) or a hack that doesn't involve either keeping your Switch on firmware version 3.0.0 or hacking apart a JoyCon. Fail0verflow's future-proof Switch hack is ingenious to say the least, but it's also too complicated for your average Joe. For example, hacking the Wii was super easy, as all you needed was some files on an SD card and a compatible game.
My point is, maybe we should wait until the Switch homebrew community becomes larger.

As for coding the port, the only way I know you could start coding a Switch game (other than building it within a commercial engine such as Unity or Unreal) would be by using Yuzu (https://yuzu-emu.org/), an experimental Switch emulator. However, Yuzu is well in its infancy, and can't run most commercial Switch games. (It can boot some, but can't render any actual 3D graphics just yet.) If you used Yuzu to develop DraStic, it would be massively under-powered and probably wouldn't be able to boot much. And you'd be coding an emulator within an already incomplete emulator, so if something went wrong, you wouldn't be able to tell if the issue is with DraStic or Yuzu.

Long story short, we should probably wait.
Rumour is there is a HBL only days away (it was meant to be released on FEB 1st but was delayed for a couple weeks)
As for hacks it's true the Homebrew community is small atm but there are options. You could go the Software Hack route if your on 3.0.0 (or lower) or you can go the Hardware route with Team Xecuter's Solution http://team-xecuter.com/forums/threads/ ... console%21 (apparently comes in both solder and solder-less flavours) :P

When it comes to coding there is both Libnx (https://github.com/switchbrew/libnx) and Libtransistor (https://github.com/reswitched/libtransistor) both updated constantly :)

I agree it is still very early in the game but it would be good to see if Exophase would be willing to port Drastic over to Switch, even if its not until later on down the line :)

PatchAdams

Post by PatchAdams » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Quick Update on the Switch.. The Switch HBL has been now been released!!
Nro's (Switch Homebrew Executables) are now launchable from the Switch's Album Menu (FW v3.0.0 only for now) via the Switch's SD card ;)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 pm

PatchAdams wrote:Quick Update on the Switch.. The Switch HBL has been now been released!!
Nro's (Switch Homebrew Executables) are now launchable from the Switch's Album Menu (FW v3.0.0 only for now) via the Switch's SD card ;)
Niiiice. I assume the hack works similarly to SSB Brawl's Custom Stages hack. (I remember that's how you booted Project M if you didn't want to hack your Wii. I later used the same method to hack mine.)

You can also find me on Reddit (u/Ericbazinga) and Discord (in the DraStic Discord server). You'll find me in those places almost daily and here almost never.

PatchAdams

Post by PatchAdams » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

ericbazinga wrote:
PatchAdams wrote:Quick Update on the Switch.. The Switch HBL has been now been released!!
Niiiice. I assume the hack works similarly to SSB Brawl's Custom Stages hack. (I remember that's how you booted Project M if you didn't want to hack your Wii. I later used the same method to hack mine.)
Sort of but the only prerequisite for this is you have to be on 3.0.0
1.Download latest nx-hbmenu.
2.Put the hbmenu.nro on the root of your sdcard.
3.Insert the sdcard into the device.
4.Set your Switch DNS server to 104.236.106.125, and perform a connection test.
5.Click "Install"
6.If you see 2000-1337 on your screen it means installation succeeded.

Restart the device, and perform a new connection test.
Click "Run".
The exploit is finished when there's a popup asking you to exit.

Go to the home menu and click the Album icon.
https://switchbrew.github.io/nx-hbl/

Even though it's only been out a few days there's already new Homebrew trickling out everyday :)

ericbazinga

Post by ericbazinga » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:40 pm

PatchAdams wrote:
ericbazinga wrote:
Sort of but the only prerequisite for this is you have to be on 3.0.0
1.Download latest nx-hbmenu.
2.Put the hbmenu.nro on the root of your sdcard.
3.Insert the sdcard into the device.
4.Set your Switch DNS server to 104.236.106.125, and perform a connection test.
5.Click "Install"
6.If you see 2000-1337 on your screen it means installation succeeded.

Restart the device, and perform a new connection test.
Click "Run".
The exploit is finished when there's a popup asking you to exit.

Go to the home menu and click the Album icon.
https://switchbrew.github.io/nx-hbl/

Even though it's only been out a few days there's already new Homebrew trickling out everyday :)
Oh. That's not like the Brawl hack at all. I thought the hack would exploit the Album menu when there's no photos/videos and the system reads off the SD card to see if there's any photos there.
That's how the Brawl hack worked, it read the SD card to see if there's any custom stages on the card. (You have to delete the 3 that are automatically included with a save slot, so that there's none.) You click on the Custom Stages icon in Brawl's menu and the hack boots up, reading whatever you put on the SD card. If you were using the "hackless" version of Project M, it would boot straight into the mod, which was stored on the SD card. You could also use the same hack to install the Homebrew Channel (which I did), and of course they have a "hacked" version of Project M that boots off the Homebrew Channel. (Of course, there's plenty of other homebrew you can run. Tools, emulators, and even full games. I installed a media player on my Wii that has the ability to play DVDs.)