[Report]Redundant-data loss causes in-game save errors

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Soro
[Report]Redundant-data loss causes in-game save errors

Post by Soro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi,guys.

I found that drastic support for RIP ROM is not very good.Some ROMs will be unable to save in game.

As you know,a DUMP ROM whose size is 2^n bytes usually followed by a continuous 0xff/0x00,which will be deleted as redundant data when we rip the rom.

Based on the above cognition,I tried to fill 0xff at the end of patched roms to 2^n bytes(eg.32M,64M,128M...) and modified the CRC32 values in game_database.xml.Then everything was business as usual.

This is a common problem,although I have found a solution,I still wish you would make a fix & give up checking the CRC32 value when writing a dsv file.I can be sure that to save in game directly will help prevent corrupted data for patched roms.

P.S. There are another errors in the database.Maybe you can ask beeflot for a list.
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-08-26-07-03-00.png
Patched ROM
Screenshot_2013-08-26-07-03-00.png (247.99KiB)Viewed 15109 times
Screenshot_2013-08-26-07-01-50.png
RIP ROM
Screenshot_2013-08-26-07-01-50.png (251.28KiB)Viewed 15109 times

awk

Re: [Report]Redundant-data loss causes in-game save errors

Post by awk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:38 am

It's weird because trimmed versions of downloaded roms work fine.
But seriously, if you own the game, why not download instead of rip?

Soro

Post by Soro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 am

awk wrote:It's weird because trimmed versions of downloaded roms work fine.
Because we need to hack the rom text & graphics for foreign languages.
Although those patched roms work fine on NDS,drastic support for them is not very good.So we have to backfill the redundant data & modify the game_database to solve in-game save problems.

beeflot

Post by beeflot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 am

awk wrote:It's weird because trimmed versions of downloaded roms work fine.

There was a Korean asked for help about his korean-patched rom with save problem just a few days ago.

Soro just want Exo to make the app perfect, my friend. :P

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 am

Well, from the convo that exo had earlier with a tester, he said drastic actually goes for the game id and name before crc so the question is why does a patch change the games id in the first place.
Behold my mighty

Exophase

Post by Exophase » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:25 am

The patch must be changing the game code + ID, if it can't find the game this way it'll try CRC. If you tell us what the game code is changed to we can add it to the database.

Soro

Post by Soro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 am

Jay Haru wrote:Well, from the convo that exo had earlier with a tester, he said drastic actually goes for the game id and name before crc so the question is why does a patch change the games id in the first place.
No,no,no,my friend,our patched roms have the same id & title as their original versions.I have tried a lot of times,it's the redundant-data loss & CRC32 error causes in-game save failure.

beeflot

Post by beeflot » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 am

Exophase wrote:The patch must be changing the game code + ID, if it can't find the game this way it'll try CRC. If you tell us what the game code is changed to we can add it to the database.
We have already added some of games in to database.(but only for the roms patched with my language, you know)

How about sending it to you a few hours later, Exo?

Soro

Post by Soro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 am

Exophase wrote:The patch must be changing the game code + ID, if it can't find the game this way it'll try CRC. If you tell us what the game code is changed to we can add it to the database.
What's the meaning of game code,is it the rom title?We didn't change the rom id & title, just hack the text/graphics and delete the continuous 0xff from the end of dump rom.

winterwind

Post by winterwind » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:01 pm

That is a lot of nds game path or translate. Actually some of them not change game title/id. We don't know all of the question rom. We only test/found few of them, So it is hard to report all the rom.(I don't know whether we can add to database If the id same.) I think he suggest to improve drastic's compatibility, rather than a add a list in database.