Controller types

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
philnolan3d
Controller types

Post by philnolan3d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm not sure what controller types are officially supported by Android, let alone DraStic. Personally I would love it if I could use the OnLive Universal Controller. I believe that is the DirectiInput type. I know it's not xinput because I have to use an xinput emulator to use it with PC games. It seems to work OK with some Android games like Sonic 4, but not all. Does Android / Drastic use xinput? I wonder if there is a driver or something that could convert it like I do on PC. Thoughts?

HugMeTender

Re: Controller types

Post by HugMeTender » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm

philnolan3d wrote:I'm not sure what controller types are officially supported by Android, let alone DraStic. Personally I would love it if I could use the OnLive Universal Controller. I believe that is the DirectiInput type. I know it's not xinput because I have to use an xinput emulator to use it with PC games. It seems to work OK with some Android games like Sonic 4, but not all. Does Android / Drastic use xinput? I wonder if there is a driver or something that could convert it like I do on PC. Thoughts?
I'm not very familiar with this specific controller, does it pair through Bluetooth on your Android device?
Image Hell yeah, Dragonite XD

Systems Owned
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running SlimBean 4.3 Build 1
LG DoublePlay with root access running stock
PSP Slim running 5.00 M33-6
ASUS G73SW-A1 Laptop

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:56 pm

philnolan3d wrote:I'm not sure what controller types are officially supported by Android, let alone DraStic. Personally I would love it if I could use the OnLive Universal Controller. I believe that is the DirectiInput type. I know it's not xinput because I have to use an xinput emulator to use it with PC games. It seems to work OK with some Android games like Sonic 4, but not all. Does Android / Drastic use xinput? I wonder if there is a driver or something that could convert it like I do on PC. Thoughts?
I'm not sure exactly what Android but, if you can connect it and the device sees its controls as inputs then it should work. Btw: I have the original Onlive Micro Console controller and I absolutely love the ergonomics!

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Anything that works as an external keyboard or input device should work fine with Drastic.

philnolan3d

Post by philnolan3d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

HugMeTender wrote:
I'm not very familiar with this specific controller, does it pair through Bluetooth on your Android device?
Yes it connects via Bluetooth. I tried it and only one button worked, X I think. It kicked me out to my home screen. Does the demo version have controller support? I'm on that until my paycheck clears.

I actually got the controller for free from one of the OnLive guys last year. I was asking for a t-shirt. They said they'd get me one and asked for my address. Low and behold, this arrived instead.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:18 pm

philnolan3d wrote:
HugMeTender wrote:
Yes it connects via Bluetooth. I tried it and only one button worked, X I think. It kicked me out to my home screen. Does the demo version have controller support? I'm on that until my paycheck clears.

I actually got the controller for free from one of the OnLive guys last year. I was asking for a t-shirt. They said they'd get me one and asked for my address. Low and behold, this arrived instead.
Wow, lucky. Wish I could get free hardware on my mail instead of bills to pay :lol:
Behold my mighty

AsHperson

Post by AsHperson » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Yeah, the only problem is that Onlive didn't work to get anything but the Onlive app compatible with it sadly.

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:32 pm

philnolan3d wrote:I actually got the controller for free from one of the OnLive guys last year. I was asking for a t-shirt. They said they'd get me one and asked for my address. Low and behold, this arrived instead.
This controller?

If it is, it looks really freakin' cool. I wish my device supported Bluetooth after seeing that.

EDIT: Also, how about give Tincore Keymapper a try? It lets you map button inputs to on-screen touch inputs. Maybe this controller will support that, then you can bind the button presses to the on-screen buttons in Drastic, then just set the "Controller Opacity" option to 0%.

philnolan3d

Post by philnolan3d » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:37 pm

Yes that one. Here's the page for it.

http://games.onlive.com/controller

What great about it is that it has a rechargable battery but if that dies it can also use AA batteries. It even comes with some. It also has a USB dongle to do bluetooth connection to PC.

Edit: I'll take a look at that mapper. :)

Edit again: Oh it needs rooting. I don't want to root my phone.

Huntereb

Post by Huntereb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:07 am

philnolan3d wrote:Edit again: Oh it needs rooting. I don't want to root my phone.
Oh, sorry then. I don't think there are any mappers that don't require root, because you need root access to mess with touch screen inputs.

You could give this a try, it's free and doesn't require root. Just go into the app's settings and fiddle with "Select Keyboard method" and "Android Keyboard" options. Let me know what happens!

EDIT: And here's another that doesn't require root (A few features are disabled without root though). It costs money, and I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it does mention Bluetooth/usb gamepad/keyboard support for something... I don't support piracy, but Google might hold answers to gaining a test version.
Last edited by Huntereb on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.