Drastic on Retropie

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Exophase
Re: Drastic on Retropie

Post by Exophase » Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 pm

mediamogul wrote:Hello Exophase,

I'm a moderator over at the RetroPie forums and it's recently come to light that the inclusion of DraStic is potentially something that you wish had not happened. It was assumed by the nature of it's release that this might be an acceptable course of action and I can assure you that no ill will was intended. In an effort to respect your wishes and your work, the ability to install DraStic has been removed from the RetroPie-Setup script. Anyone wishing to test the beta as intended can still or course install it manually. I'm sure I speak for the rest of the RetroPie community when I say that we hope you continue your work on the Raspberry Pi and that the inclusion of a more finalized version of DraStic might be possible in the future with your blessing.

Thanks for all your time.
I'm sorry I took so long to respond to this. Thank you for your consideration on this issue and getting in touch.

I think at this point there's no real harm keeping it in there, if you don't have any misgivings doing so. I feel bad seeing it be released like this then taken away, and it's otherwise been out there so there's nothing to really hold back now.

I also think it's important to say that I don't personally don't take any kind of offense towards me or see it as some kind of slight. This is especially worth saying because I can really easily see how the way I reacted to it came off that way. The whole thing was just kind of unexpected and overwhelming, since I wasn't really expecting to look at user reports from a larger and less organized group of people. But I think that can be mitigated, especially if anyone wants to put together a bug report list to give to me. Regardless, if anyone did anything wrong it's me - this could hardly be called a private beta when it's being posted on a public forum, and there's no reason why anyone should have expected that. I was just being impatient with private beta testing results and jumped the gun without really thinking about it, but I guess it also means that I wasn't really worried about it getting distributed more broadly.

Finally, I do want to say that I really want to get another release out (and some sub-forums here), and I apologize that I haven't despite saying a few times already that I was planning on it. To be totally honest I've been having some hard times and it's been hard to sit down and focus on things like this, but I'm really hoping that will change soon.

charononus

Post by charononus » Sat May 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Exophase wrote:

I'm a moderator over at the RetroPie forums and it's recently come to light that the inclusion of DraStic is potentially something that you wish had not happened. It was assumed by the nature of it's release that this might be an acceptable course of action and I can assure you that no ill will was intended. In an effort to respect your wishes and your work, the ability to install DraStic has been removed from the RetroPie-Setup script. Anyone wishing to test the beta as intended can still or course install it manually. I'm sure I speak for the rest of the RetroPie community when I say that we hope you continue your work on the Raspberry Pi and that the inclusion of a more finalized version of DraStic might be possible in the future with your blessing.

I'm sorry I took so long to respond to this. Thank you for your consideration on this issue and getting in touch.

I think at this point there's no real harm keeping it in there, if you don't have any misgivings doing so. I feel bad seeing it be released like this then taken away, and it's otherwise been out there so there's nothing to really hold back now.

I also think it's important to say that I don't personally don't take any kind of offense towards me or see it as some kind of slight. This is especially worth saying because I can really easily see how the way I reacted to it came off that way. The whole thing was just kind of unexpected and overwhelming, since I wasn't really expecting to look at user reports from a larger and less organized group of people. But I think that can be mitigated, especially if anyone wants to put together a bug report list to give to me. Regardless, if anyone did anything wrong it's me - this could hardly be called a private beta when it's being posted on a public forum, and there's no reason why anyone should have expected that. I was just being impatient with private beta testing results and jumped the gun without really thinking about it, but I guess it also means that I wasn't really worried about it getting distributed more broadly.

Finally, I do want to say that I really want to get another release out (and some sub-forums here), and I apologize that I haven't despite saying a few times already that I was planning on it. To be totally honest I've been having some hard times and it's been hard to sit down and focus on things like this, but I'm really hoping that will change soon.
Glad to hear from you. I'm just a retropie user, but your software even though it's just in beta is some of the best for the DS that I've seen. I hope times get better for you with whatever it is that you're going through.

mediamogul

Post by mediamogul » Sat May 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Exophase wrote:I'm sorry I took so long to respond to this.
Not a problem. I appreciate you taking the time.
Exophase wrote:I think at this point there's no real harm keeping it in there, if you don't have any misgivings doing so. I feel bad seeing it be released like this then taken away
No need to feel bad at all. It's obvious that you spend a lot of time working on DraStic and no one can blame you for being protective of it. Personally speaking, I've been a fan of it's development for quite some time and have enjoyed reading about it's advancements here as they happen. I purchased a copy for my gaming tablet a few years back and it's remained a favorite ever since.

As for the reintroduction into RetroPie, it certainly would be fantastic and much appreciated if you're sure that you're OK with it. Having tested it quite a bit, I can honestly say that outside of a few minor bugs, your beta is very solid. However, we all definitely understand that this represents unfinished work on your part and you wouldn't want it to be mistaken as a final effort. Before it was removed, the option to install DraStic was listed under "Experimental Packages" and we try to make it very clear to all that anything in that category has either not been tested thoroughly, or is unfinished in some way. We would of course continue to place it in that category until a final version is released that you deem stable.
Exophase wrote:Finally, I do want to say that I really want to get another release out (and some sub-forums here), and I apologize that I haven't despite saying a few times already that I was planning on it. To be totally honest I've been having some hard times and it's been hard to sit down and focus on things like this, but I'm really hoping that will change soon.
We all love games and everyone gets a thrill when we hear big news about an exciting project like DraStic, but personal matters should always take priority. Personally, I see the release of DraStic gratis for the Raspberry Pi as a very considerate addition to the community on your part and even an extension to those who may have paid to use it on other platforms. Even if it never proceeds past this point, it is greatly appreciated. I hope that all things improve on your end and that you can continue your work in good health, humor and fortune.

theissdev

Post by theissdev » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Dude. I just wanted to reach out and say THANK YOU for Drastic on Retropie. Having to reset the system after playing a game is NOTHING when this emulation runs like such a badass. THANKS!

dkbrown12

Post by dkbrown12 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Hey there! Just got started with this on the Pi. I was wondering, and I know that it would most likely be very difficult, but would it be possible to create a sort of companion app between the Android and Pi version that allows you to use your phone for the touch screen part but Pi for main play? Your work is already amazing enough, been using the Android version for a while now. I think that this parity between versions, though, would be a neat feature.

lunes

Post by lunes » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Exophase wrote:

Hello budy, how are you ? I hope all is well with you and the entire DraStic developer team.

I come here first to thank you for your commitment to keeping this wonderful DraStic emulator in constant improvement and especially for developing a port for raspberry Pi (Retropie) ....

I wanted to ask you something here: since 2017 I have asked the developer of batocera.linux (nadenislamarre) who is even registered in his forum [batocera linux is a free retrogamer system very similar to Retropie, but more "friendly" for ordinary users] . I have asked nadenislamarre developer to include DraStic in compiling for Raspberry PI from his batocera.linux system, however, I have received feedback from him that this is not possible since DraStic does not have open license for the platform .... I know that DraStic is paid for Android and is an excellent emulator in every way ... its development in the mobile platform is the best already achieved and you deserve the congratulations so always!

My question is: Is there any way for you to make the beta or a more up-to-date beta available or even official if it is already available from DraStic for Raspberry to be public and free so that it can be added to Batocera.Linux use for my retro games?

I really wanted to be able to play the NDS games directly on my TV through its powerful emulator in batocera.linux, but as it stands today the developer refuses to add since he does not want to have license problems for using his application without the license suitable for such ...

I therefore ask you if possible to release the private (or public) beta as you wish for the raspberry platform but declare the license of this platform as "open" or otherwise "addable" to raspberry platform based systems. .would it be possible ?

I also know from your CLEAR wish to let specified that DraStic for this platform is in BETA and this would be easily stated in the Linux batocera when being added in a specific section or with the clear nomenclature that you specified as Beta rather than as final release. ..

I really wanted this to be possible, but only if it is your will to release DraStic for this platform free of charge and licensed to allow it to be added to raspberry PI systems in a trouble-free way for the system developer like the Batocera Linux / Recalbox / Retropie and other retrogamer systems of this board ....

if you can help, I will be eternally grateful and hope to be able to help you with a donation that is already well deserved!

maboshi

Post by maboshi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm

dop3 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 pm
I just registered to say thank you.
Me too! I just tried DraStic today on my SNES Classic. Beautiful!