Drastic on Retropie

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
nickd03
Drastic on Retropie

Post by nickd03 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:58 am

Okay, I'm new here, I recently bought a Raspberry Pi 3, and loaded it with Retropie, and I was wondering why Retropie users get to use drastic for free. I know that you have to pay for the android version, but you can download it for the Raspberry Pi 3 as seen here https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... intendo-DS. I was also wondering how its possible to run it on Retropie, as it is an android app.

Exophase

Re: Drastic on Retropie

Post by Exophase » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 am

It's on Raspberry Pi because I released the port for it, as a semi-closed beta. I asked people not to distribute it but since I did link to it publicly somewhere it was basically inevitable. It still would have been nice if maintainers of a major front end didn't decide to incorporate it prematurely. That said, I still plan to release an "official" first version although at this point the lines have been really blurred as to what that even means.

As for why they get to use it for free, I guess I don't have much of an answer for that other than that it's simply up to my discretion and I don't think the RPi ecosystem or community is a good fit for paid apps. This isn't completely without precedent, I released the Pandora version of DraStic (which the RPi one is more similar to than the Android) without charging, and before the Android version.

Jay Haru

Post by Jay Haru » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 am

doesnt really matter if its free on what can be considered a niche market. its not like rpi or pandora for that matter will have a huge impact on android stuff.
and as exo said, his discretion so whatever he does, its up to him.
Behold my mighty

dop3

Post by dop3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:49 pm

I just registered to say thank you.

I sincerely hope you're working on a stable version. As you said the Pi community isn't one to charge things for but I'll gladly donate, even more so than the android version costs if that makes any difference, -gladly-.

Any chance of getting a combo Exit key while I'm pushing my luck? Select+Start or whatever. That's my only real frustration I can see with the setup, otherwise all I see is growing pains and I think it's awesome.

Thanks for your work so far either damn way!
-C

Cloudlink

Post by Cloudlink » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 am

I will also gladly donate generously to Drastic when a stable release is available, as I have to many developers whose work is available for use with RetroPie.

8bitmurphy

Post by 8bitmurphy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 pm

thank you for this, and count me in for the donations as well. blew my mind back when it came out on android, and just tested it on the raspberry, performs fantastically.

mm21xx

Post by mm21xx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 am

Hey there!

Just registered today to shoutout a huge thanks for porting and making this available on the RPi.
I just had it setup through the exp packages this weekend and test ran a few games I had, and works really well.

I never actually bothered looking into this emulator at all since I have all my physical games on my DS, so I saw no real added value in emulating these on my phone, but seeing the ability to play on a bigger screen with the ecosystem of the other consoles I put together on my RPi was what drove me to give it a try. Only problem I seem to have encountered is trying to exit from DraStic back onto EmulationStation, pressing the Start + Select is not bringing me back to the ES GUI.

Thank you for your generosity, really highly appreciate your hard work. I haven't had much chance to browse the forums, but is there a specific way where I can contribute with a donation?

Thanks!!

mediamogul

Post by mediamogul » Fri May 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello Exophase,

I'm a moderator over at the RetroPie forums and it's recently come to light that the inclusion of DraStic is potentially something that you wish had not happened. It was assumed by the nature of it's release that this might be an acceptable course of action and I can assure you that no ill will was intended. In an effort to respect your wishes and your work, the ability to install DraStic has been removed from the RetroPie-Setup script. Anyone wishing to test the beta as intended can still or course install it manually. I'm sure I speak for the rest of the RetroPie community when I say that we hope you continue your work on the Raspberry Pi and that the inclusion of a more finalized version of DraStic might be possible in the future with your blessing.

Thanks for all your time.

rick55

Post by rick55 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:33 pm

I have experimented with the raspberry pi version and am impressed with the quality. I went and bought the Android version to give you some support (though I have yet to try that version). Please continue the Pi version. Integration into Retropie would be great as well even if it is a paid add on.

MrScruff300

Post by MrScruff300 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:56 am

Hi,

I would also like to second that, thanks very much for your work on Drastic it really is a fantastic emulator and I have also bought the Android version in support. Please do continue your work on a finalised RPi port as it would be great to have this fantastic emulator as part of RetroPie.

Many thanks!