[Feature request] Vr integration of drastic ?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
nalfein
[Feature request] Vr integration of drastic ?

Post by nalfein » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi, just bought drastic yesterday and first, I want to thanks the devs for the app : thats pretty awesome to have most ds games running at high definition on my phone ! However, I would like to know if there was any vr integration planned for the emulator (such as on making a virtual display like the ppsspp emulator currently do or even better to be able to change the camera with head tracking like dolphinvr currently do) as I'm a vr enthusiast and It would be pretty fun to play again those classics ds games on my vr headset :)

Thanks !

TkSilver

Re: [Feature request] Vr integration of drastic ?

Post by TkSilver » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:42 pm

The headtracking camera might be possible with lua scripting.... maybe. Also 3d games on NDS with the requisite free camera setup needed are pretty uncomon.

The vr integration has 2 interesting issues compared to almost any other emulator on android.

1. The second screen/touch input. The second screen could be placed on the side since vr images are generally not oriented to be portrait. But you would lose out the ability to play quite a large number of titles that heavily rely upon touch input.

2. Unlike dolphin or PPSSPP, Drastic uses the CPU not GPU to do everything from the general code to all of the graphical work. I am not sure what the actual performance hit would be trying to draw the (up to) 4 screens at the same time.

Exophase

Re: [Feature request] Vr integration of drastic ?

Post by Exophase » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:57 pm

I think DraStic would need to have OpenGL ES rendering in place before this would start to make sense. VR really needs a decent resolution to start to not look really jarring (also a high frame rate but that's not really possible to enhance) Anti-aliasing and better color depth would also help, as may texture filtering.

DS has a geometry engine that's roughly like Gamecube's, so whatever Dolphin is doing might applicable sometimes here. But the combined 2D engine data can make things strange. There's no information present on what sort of depth that should projected at, except the layering/whether or not it's in front of or behind the 3D images. So a lot of games may end up looking really broken.