Frameskip code

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Fefo
Frameskip code

Post by Fefo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:06 am

One thing I enjoy is how nicely auto frameskipping is handled here. On every other emulator on Windows any sort of "minimize skipped frames" led me to a lot of jerkiness and sound pop, even with 100%ish speed, while on DraStic I could go for slideshow mode with filters and hi-res and while things become funky, there's no noticeable stutter and sound pop isn't enough to annoy me.

Is that something of your code or there's some aspect on ARM that make things nicer? I never used gpSP, and aside from Mupen on Android (which stutters a lot for me) I had no use for this on other emulators.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH

TkSilver

Re: Frameskip code

Post by TkSilver » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:31 pm

You can generally get similar benefits if you are running other emulators in software mode (though software mode has some performance drawbacks). I think this has to do with everything being timed on just the CPU and not having somethings running through the GPU and having the frameskipping causing sync issues.

Of course it is harder to handle certain effects and other idiosyncrasies of GPU or (emotion engine/ whatever odd hardware Sony decides to use using a hat and some slips of paper) using nothing but a CPU. However, it does tend to keep everything synced better.

I might be wrong and I expect Exo will probably correct me in a few days.

Fefo

Re: Frameskip code

Post by Fefo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:48 am

I forgot to factor hardware rendering, thank you. I'll do some tests on software mode and report back later.
BE ATTITUDE FOR ENGRISH