How to emulate BIOS on Drastic?

Discuss anything about DraStic here.
Kyousuke753
How to emulate BIOS on Drastic?

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat May 07, 2016 12:53 am

I read in the Drastic FAQ that you can apply custom BIOS into Drastic...but due to copyright can't be distributed freely which I'm aware of.

However my question is I want to replicate the Nintendo DS BIOS when you turn ON the console and I'm wondering if it's possible?

Umm how do I explain it...like you know how in GBA you turn the console ON and the BIOS appears in this video below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x59YCZnv8E

If this is removed for copyright sake then please tell me.
I know I ask tricky questions, but unless it was already there I wouldn't have to ask in the first place. Thank you :D

Exophase

Re: How to emulate BIOS on Drastic?

Post by Exophase » Sat May 07, 2016 4:49 am

The BIOS has a set of functions that the game can call while it runs. That's the only role it plays in DraStic. The game is executed directly, there isn't any BIOS or firmware that runs before then.

To see the DS launch menu and whatnot the emulator would have to be running the DS's firmware. This isn't an easy feature to add because it means having to emulate things that are currently not emulated, like DS's decryption hardware.

Kyousuke753

Post by Kyousuke753 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:08 am

Thank you for clarifying that Exophase. I thought it was an optional thing just removed.

sandix

Post by sandix » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Isn't there a decrypted firmware of the DS Phat out there wild on the internet? Because that might work. Not too sure.if you have an original DS on hand and an R4 card, you can try to use a homebrew software to dump the firmware (And possibly decrypt it) for use in emulators. I know I did that awhile back using DeSmuME. (I think, It was a LONG time ago)